Needing some help...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Evins74s, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Evins74s

Evins74s Member

I was given several empty 38spec & 357mag brass. Mixed in those empties was several loaded 38 & 357. But what I am needing help with is identifing these 3 rounds. Bottom of the brass it says 38 spl Hydra-Shok. Did some research and could not find any that looked like these. Here are the two pics of them. Can somebody tell me if this is how they are to be shot? I am thinking that the bullet was seated WAY TO FAR in.

Attached Files:

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

They make a bullet called a wadcutter. Looks like a soup can. It was designed for target shooting, and its purpose is to cut pretty round holes in the paper target (instead of tearing a hole like a round-nosed bullet does) to make scoring the target easier.

These bullets are seated flush with the case mouth, to reduce case capacity, so you can use less powder.

There are two type of wadcutters - solid, and what are called "hollow-base". They are loaded the same way, they work the same way, but the hollow-base bullet has like a skirt.
    [​IMG]

The skirt expands from the burning powder gases, to grip the barrel better, possibly giving better accuracy.

Many years ago some bright person got the idea of load HBWC bullets upside down, so that the hollow was pointed out, in effect making a HUGE hollowpoint bullet.

This was never done commercially, as far as I know, but many handloaders did this.

Now, since Hydra-shok's claim to fame is the pillar in the middle of their hollowpoints,
    [​IMG]

and those bullets have that pillar, I presume that Hydra-shok took the idea of the "upside-down HBWC", added their own special touch to it, and made those things you have.

I don't know if they STILL make 'em, but I'm sure you have factory-loaded ammo there.
  3. Evins74s

Evins74s Member

Thanks Alpo. I had never seen a round like these and didn't want to ruin my gun.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Won't ruin the gun, but will sure ruin any soft tissue that it passes through ;)
  5. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

They were the " thing ", once upon a time for ranges to sell to shooters.
    You can also fill the void with your choice of whatever, and wax over the tip.
  6. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum, Evins. Alpo and lots of other experts are happy to help any way they can. Enjoy the conversations here.
  7. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I would pull 1 just to make sure I know what I'm dealing with before shooting any of them. Not to say I do not agree with what has been said, I would just want to make sure. I would also want to get an idea of the charge behind it, as you do not know for sure if these are factory loads or someones homegrown recipe for the disaster side of trial and error. But it's up to you.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

bntyhntr6975, normally I would agree, but Federal doesn't sell bullets. They sell brass. They sell primers. They sell loaded ammo. But not bullets. So where would you get these, obviously, hydra-shok bullets, to make the reloads?
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Those are 148gr Hydra-Shock wadcutters, and that is the proper loaded length for them. As mentioned, its just a regular holllow point wadcutter with the patented hydro shock pillared cavity
    I've got a partial box of them around here someplace.

Note...These are pre-Federal Hydra-Shoks. Hydra-Shok was a separate brandname before Federal acquired it.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  10. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Was just playing it safe. You can pull bullets, you can load bullets, you can do this and that. But you can't be too careful. Just taking someone's word isn't always the smartest thing to do. No offense to you or anyone in particular.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Shoot the things and enjoy!!
  12. X Ring

X Ring Member

That is true, and Hydra-Shock did sell just the bullets, I still have 100 waiting to be loaded.