Neighbor openly carrying handgun What would you do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by satellite66, Feb 17, 2009.

1. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

2. Doug.38PR

Doug.38PR Member

what would I do?....wave hello. Then go about my business
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I love the reply about sorting out a good cross fire arrangement. And the one asking if the tree was a felon.
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

If I saw a neighbor carrying, I wouldn't react. Heck, when I first moved here a group of hunters walked down the street with loaded guns and nobody did anything about it (even though that's against the rules). Lots of the comments are pro-gun, thank heavens.

Added: One of the replies is really good: "A criminal is a problem with or without a gun; he'll find SOMETHING to use as a weapon."
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Get upset, because he didn't ask me what to buy first? :eek:

(Neighbor is NOT a firearms person, he knows I am, he HAS asked about this before, I expect he will again, at some point) ;)
  6. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Openly carrying a handgun while planting a tree... does that mean he's also openly carrying a shovel?! :eek: :eek:
  7. durk

durk Active Member

I would try to get a close look at his/her gun and make sure mine was bigger.:D
  8. oldogy

oldogy New Member

I've been watching that story since it first broke. I think it should have been a case of MYOB on the neighbors part. About as stupid as what happened to a neighbor's kid here. The neighbor's son's GF called 911 as a joke when she and he were horsing around. Took the kid much money and time to get rid of that off his record even after the GF told the judge she was "playing around".
    oldogy
  9. icm856

icm856 New Member

I would wave to him or her and consider my self fortunate that if my neighbors see any criminal activity in the neighborhood, they have the means to do something about it.
  10. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

I'd be glad I probably have an ally living close to me. Remember I'm from Jersey.
  11. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Smile and wave... :confused:

I really don't get the problem, at all... I regularly shoot a range of guns in my yard and neighbors never complain. Heck, the ones behind me don't call their 7 kids inside either. They know that where we live, shooting is a normal hobby just like gardening and the large majority of us handle ourselves responsibly.
  12. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

Like everyone else, I'd ask to take a look it. I have a concealed weapons permit, as do many people who live here. It used to be that everyone carried either a handgun, a rifle in his/her vehicle or both, especially in the fall and hs students driving to school would at the very least have a rifle in the truck for hunting after school; then they changed the law about even driving on school property with a gun, concealed or no after Columbine.
  13. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

Where I live, if you have a gun, it probably means that you are going hunting or you plan on shooting something. If there is a rabbit in the yard or a ground hog, you shoot it. Even if it is 11 o'clock at night.

The most the neighbors would say to you here is - nice gun, can I see it? What caliber is it, and where did you buy it, or what rounds are you shooting, or can I shoot it a couple of times. I probably have some shells around here for it somewhere if you want them.

One of the local state cops regularly jogged with a loaded 9 MM on his side and all the people could talk about was how awkward it would be to jog with a pistol sticking you in the ribs. State Police in Pennsylvania are required to be armed at all times is what one cop told me. But I have not yet seen one in church with a open weapon.
  14. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I would say good afternoon sir. I did have a neighbor one time across the street from me chase another guy out of his house with a rifle pointed at him. I calmly walked over to him and asked what he was doing. He replied that this person had threatened him with a 9mm pistol so he chased him out with his rifle. I then told him that this was a neighbor hood with children and on the street and not to mention all the other people who live here and if the police saw this they would haul him away. He apologized and said he would not do it again. I then told him if he wanted to shoot someone just do it in his house not out in public. That was the end of it and I never had another incident.
  15. artabr

artabr New Member

I got a laugh out of the next one after the cross fire post.

quote: "I would scream, and then continue to scream until I could get under my bed and sooth my self by singing the Obama mantra over and over to my Obama picture that I keep in my shirt pocket".

Art