Never owned a battle rifle in semi auto

4K views 0 replies 0 participants last post by  warpig 
G
#1 ·
AGunguy
V.I.P. Member
(8/13/01 9:49:56 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Never owned a battle rifle in semi auto
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thinking about getting one, but what and where to buy it?

Today I shot an SKS with 30 rd clip. Neato was my word of satisfaction. Recoil was certainly manageable, and ammo I was told was dirt cheap. Seemed to have a lot of punch at 50 yards.

But I am also thinking about a Romainian AK 47 from J&G for $250. Which one would you recomend.

Hope you don't say buy some American product, hell I would if they wern't so damn pricey.

This Russian or Romainian thingy would be my SHTF gun and something to have a little fun with getting proficient shooting it.

Oh, are the Chinese guns as bad as some people say they are as to workmanship and quality?

Gunguy

Spanish Cruffler
(8/14/01 5:44:03 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Never owned a battle rifle in semi auto
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Chinese SKS rifles are variable in quality depending on which factory they come from. Some of them have press-fit barrels that are pinned, and some are threaded in. Try to avoid the press-fit barrel versions. If you are really going to go for an SKS, try to find one of the Romanian SKS rifles that were recently imported.

For a real battle rifle, get yourself an FN49.

the real fredneck
V.I.P. Member
(8/14/01 7:53:48 am)
Why a semi-auto? Consider a FR-8 would make a fine battle rifle (what it was designed for) shoots 7.62 so you don't have to work at 50yds, can also use it for 4 legged hunting and can be had for $200 or less, if SHTF it would also be a good one to go get a different one with

rayra
(8/14/01 2:40:49 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Never owned a battle rifle in semi auto
SKS rifles are good sturdy fun for the money.
If you're not fixed on authenticity, you can get a nice nylon stock for it, too.

Mosin-Nagants are widely available, and also a decent value.

Then again, once you bang off an 8-rd e-clip from a Garand (and hear the 'tang' of the clip ejecting), you won't want anything else
$500 is still the price-point for a Garand these days, 'cept now it's GI parts kits on new-manufacture receivers.

Mine is a Blue-Sky frankenstein, paid $270 10yrs ago, bore is atrocious, but it's amazingly accurate.
Put a CNC-milled walnut stock on it, love it:

Edited by: rayra at: 8/14/01 3:41:21 pm

AGunguy
V.I.P. Member
(8/14/01 3:15:45 pm)
Please don't show those beautiful pics, gawd, now I gotta have one. Pant, pant!

Gunguy

Tac401
Administrator
(8/14/01 3:47:06 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Gotta agree about all of the above however, if it
comes down to a choice between the SKS & AK-47,
I'd choose the AK hands down.
The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Xracer
(8/14/01 3:53:11 pm)
Ahhhh, yes, the Garand.

"You never forget your first M1 thumb"......

rayra
(8/14/01 4:01:31 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
hehe , here's another

TallTLynn
Senior Chief Moderator Staff
(8/14/01 8:07:23 pm)
Bad rayra, bad rayra - and here I had promised to be good and quit buying toys for awhile.

Dang pictures like that sure make it hard to keep my word...

rayra
(8/14/01 8:19:02 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Pictures like whaat?

tuckerd1
V.I.P. Member
(8/14/01 8:20:46 pm)
Tlynn, the only difference between women and girls is the price of their toys!! LOL! It is harder to stop than smoking!!

TallTLynn
(8/14/01 8:36:59 pm)
tuckerd1 - far harder than quitting smoking that's for sure - oh I want, I want, I want.

Maybe after Christmas...

LIKTOSHOOT
(8/14/01 8:37:18 pm)
FN/FAL
"am not" R2

warpig883
V.I.P. Member
(8/15/01 4:52:23 am)
I love my garand. The ONLY thing the other guns have over it is the price of the 5.56 ammo.

I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor. If the women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy. Red Green. I am the ILLUSTRIOUS POTENTATE!

Spanish Cruffler
(8/15/01 6:16:02 am)
TAC is right 0 if you are focusing in on the 7.62 x 39 cartridge, get an AK varient rather than an SKS. I have a nice Clayco AK that LTS would love to have! Also, if you can find some of the pre-ban varients, there were some nice Yugoslavian AKs in .308 caliber, and the Valmet Model 78, or there were a few of the Chinese RPK varients in .223 that got into the country right before the ban in 1986. Of course, these are all going to be expensive now.

AGunguy
V.I.P. Member
(8/15/01 6:08:02 pm)
Mr. Cruffer, sir. Would you recomend the Romainian AK 47 (new) from jgsales in Arizona?

Or do you know another country mfg. and place in the USA to buy one?

Might even be fun to own a Thompson as I reload for that caliber, but they ain't cheap.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 8/15/01 7:10:11 pm

MO JENKINS
V.I.P. Member
(8/15/01 6:09:30 pm)
AGunGuy,
Romanian AK's are excellent guns, have two, wouldn't trade 'em. Don't underestimate the SKS, have four of 'em, two Russian, two pinned Chicom, if anyone tells you that SKS's are second rate battle rifles, turn around and walk the other way! My favorite SKS is a tricked out pinned Chicom. Ambi-safety, ATI syn-stock, Smith brake, reciever mounted ATI base with Simmons 44 MAG 4X short scope. A little custom fitting on the stock and it now shoots inside a 2-3" bull @ 100 yds(all day long). It's 100% reliable and doesn't care what I feed it, round nose, FMJ, etc. etc. Whatever you do, do it quick, buddy! If I were you, I would either buy a Romanian AK or find a good deal on SKS's and buy TWO!
Just my .02
MO JENKINS

Bob In St Louis
(8/15/01 8:12:51 pm)
The Romanian made AK variants currently imported seem to be well made - just make sure to get a varient that takes the standard AK mags, not one of them single column Frankenstiens. Also, if you have an opportunity to get a Romanian SKS at a decent price - grab it. They are getting scarce, and price is rising on those.

(P.S. - Spanish Cruffler is my day name on another computer)
Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

AGunguy
V.I.P. Member
(8/15/01 9:30:08 pm)
OK, you guys have got me fired up...I'll do it, i'll do it.

Gunguy

polishshooter
(8/16/01 8:50:19 pm)
You can't beat the SKS...if only for the fact you can only "waste" 10 rounds at a time...

BTW I NEVER had a thumb bit with a Garand...

The first time I single loaded my Romanian it bit like hell...

And Wolf Ammo is $1.89/20 HP or FMJ, not really for driving tacks, but goes bang nicely all day!
Eibar Pimp. "Pssst! 'Ay Meester..."

Zigzag2
(8/22/01 8:53:55 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
from my experiences with semi-auto battle rifles, I'd agree with LTS. From C&R's to AK's and SKS's to the AR-15's (which are fun to shoot) to the FN-FAL (in my book) is a superior!

another 2cents from the peanut gallery

Zig

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.