Never say "Never"

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  nmckenzie 
#1 ·
I once said, "I will never get another Ruger."

Then I saw this:

Never say "Never.":rolleyes:

See less See more
#5 ·
I have and have had both the No.1 and No.3 Ruger single shot rifles. They are truly beautiful rifles but.....

Accuracy has been a problem with them. They are susceptible to the hand guard mounting and the position of the rest or your hand when shooting them. The accuracy, in the terms of vertical stringing, can be poor. From introduction years ago this has been a problem never solved by Ruger, as far as I know. Old articles cover several ways and many tests to alleviate this problem. I tried them all on mine and the results were not consistent in the terms of accuracy improvement. The result is still vertical stringing. Floating the front hand guard, adding a pressure screw on the hand guard hanger, and supporting the gun in exactly the same way every shot helps but the guns were never consistently accurate. The No.3 is gone (was in 22 Hornet replaced with a CZ bolt gun) but I kept the No.1 (in 270) because it is so pretty.

LDBennett

#6 ·
I had similar results with mine; I still have it and it's a rare 7mm rem mag model made in '76. I did get it to shoot quite well but it requires a specific grip to keep it consistent. I also suffer headspace issues that require I keep separate ammo for that one and different ammo for my Browning. Otherwise I get case head separations with every shot.

#8 ·
Can't help but chuckle over Ruger's seemingly ever-changing offering of calibers when it comes to No.1s. It's been a while so the notion has passed, but I'd been considering buying a No.1 in .303 British; figured it'd fit in nicely alongside the .416 Rigby, plus we have several Lee-Enfields and a couple of Ross 1905s in .303. Soon as I made up my mind to do it the rifle was discontinued. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.