Never too old to start

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by todd51, Aug 17, 2011.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Last year I introduced a 73 year old friend to the joys of handgun shooting. He caught the bug and last fall purchased a used Smith & Wesson 22A .22lr, semi auto pistol (his first gun). I was able to take him a couple times to the range and let him meet some of the other Old Guys. Because of old eyes and iron sights he was having some problems and when he shot my Ruger MK III with a red dot he did so much better. He has just purchased a BSA Red Dot and today he got to try it under the guidance of a couple of the Old Guys. Wow what a difference it has made in his ability and enjoyment. Take a look at today's best target. He is elated with the results and was all smiles. I am sure it was the excellent instruction he received from the Old Guys :eek: :D, yea right!!!

I think we have a new member of the Old Guys. Just goes to show you are never to old to enjoy a new hobby. We are still working on him to keep his finger out of the trigger guard when not ready to shoot but I think he is coming along great.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. millman

millman New Member

3. busykngt

busykngt Member

That's just fandamntastic... what a great story! And best of all: THERE'S HOPE! {yea}
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats awesome todd.

Does the ol timer wear glasses by chance?
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Yes he wears glasses. He has had cataract surgery for the lens implants but he still has astigmatism and like a lot of us past three score and ten he sometimes sees more targets than are really out there, ha.
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

thats great,you do get the bug
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

NEVER too old to start! That's some great shooting and good group, and awesome looking pistol!
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Get him one of these..

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=GNS-027

Trust me they work. I started out making apertures for my shooting glasses with a cigarette lighter, a sewing pin, and strips of electrical tape. That way works but These hyscore flip covers are convenient. Youd be amazed how a small hole in front of your eye increases your depth of vision, even if your vision is good.
  9. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

good shooting and great to hear bout "seasoned" people learning to shoot.
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Josh. Neat, I may get a pair for me and another for Bob too. I had one of those with adjustable apeture and a small suction cup but it was a pain getting in on in just the right place. May have been ok if I was into serious competition but it wasn't worth the time for just plinking. Bob has it now but I don't see him using it. Will give it a try.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats why i quit using the tape. its a PITA to get it on there right. These clip ons are in perfect alignment since they index off the tip of the frame of your glasses and you can rotate the diopter around to where its just right with your eye. And that non dominant eye shade helps alot too. Keeps you from having 'just woke up' vision in one eye after an extended shooting session.
  12. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Great advice from you as always, thanks.

I just got a call from one of the Old Guys and two of them want to go to the range in the morning and wanted to know if I wanted to go along. Silly question right? So off I go in the morning. Wow Mon, Wed, and Fri. on the range in one week. Doesn't get much better than that.

Will take the 10/22 and do some 100 yard work. Big serious family competition in Oct. down in KY and I need to be ready. :D
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Good luck todd. If you shoot that 10/22 like you did right after you got the wolf match ammo, you got em beat easy..;)