1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

New 10/22 Owner

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by wingspar, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

It's a piece of cake to do. Here's a nice illustrated article on disassembly of the 10/22 bolt:

http://ruger22.com/newpages/bolt.htm

Note that the bolt disassembly part is in the second half of the article after the bolt removal and re-installational part.

10/22.com has many helpful instructionals on 10/22 maintenance, modification and upkeep.:)
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

I just re-barreled my 10/22 with a stock Ruger barrel. I notice that sometimes the first round doesn't chamber when a fresh magazine is inserted, however once I force it in, the remain rounds chamber fine as the gun is fired.

Any ideas on why this is happening? Do I need to do some polishing on the feed ramp or something like that.

Thanks,

John
  3. wingspar

wingspar Member

Thanks for that link. I hadn’t seen that before. I can now see how the bolt comes apart, but I think I’ll pass on taking it apart, unless it fails to function properly, and if I have trouble with it, the guy at the LGS that sold the 10/22 to me has one that he says has zero stock parts left on it, and he has some gunsmithing knowledge.

I do get a clearer idea of where to squirt some Hoppe’s 9 next time. Still a lot of crud around the extractor.
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Sounds like a tight chamber to me. It's typical of new firearms and barrels. It should get better after you put say 500 rounds through it. If it doesn't, as a last resort you could dismount the barrel from the receiver and use a little 600 or 1000 grit paper to lightly ream out the chamber a bit. :)
  5. wingspar

wingspar Member

Don’t have an answer for you, but as you can see by my photos, my 10/22 was in pretty rough shape when I bought it, and I took it out and shot it without doing a single thing to it. I havne’t had any feeding problems at all. Not even with ammo my Ruger Standard would not cycle. A photo might help people who can help you tho.
  6. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Snakedriver,

Thanks for the advice. I thought it might be something like that. 500 rounds? Dang, now I have to go to the range.

John