New 10/22 Owner

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by wingspar, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

It's a piece of cake to do. Here's a nice illustrated article on disassembly of the 10/22 bolt:

http://ruger22.com/newpages/bolt.htm

Note that the bolt disassembly part is in the second half of the article after the bolt removal and re-installational part.

10/22.com has many helpful instructionals on 10/22 maintenance, modification and upkeep.:)
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

I just re-barreled my 10/22 with a stock Ruger barrel. I notice that sometimes the first round doesn't chamber when a fresh magazine is inserted, however once I force it in, the remain rounds chamber fine as the gun is fired.

Any ideas on why this is happening? Do I need to do some polishing on the feed ramp or something like that.

Thanks,

John
  3. wingspar

wingspar Member

Thanks for that link. I hadn’t seen that before. I can now see how the bolt comes apart, but I think I’ll pass on taking it apart, unless it fails to function properly, and if I have trouble with it, the guy at the LGS that sold the 10/22 to me has one that he says has zero stock parts left on it, and he has some gunsmithing knowledge.

I do get a clearer idea of where to squirt some Hoppe’s 9 next time. Still a lot of crud around the extractor.
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Sounds like a tight chamber to me. It's typical of new firearms and barrels. It should get better after you put say 500 rounds through it. If it doesn't, as a last resort you could dismount the barrel from the receiver and use a little 600 or 1000 grit paper to lightly ream out the chamber a bit. :)
  5. wingspar

wingspar Member

Don’t have an answer for you, but as you can see by my photos, my 10/22 was in pretty rough shape when I bought it, and I took it out and shot it without doing a single thing to it. I havne’t had any feeding problems at all. Not even with ammo my Ruger Standard would not cycle. A photo might help people who can help you tho.
  6. Bubblehead

Bubblehead New Member

Snakedriver,

Thanks for the advice. I thought it might be something like that. 500 rounds? Dang, now I have to go to the range.

John