New 1911-A1 Owner, New to forum

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Greg, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Greg

Greg New Member

Well I am a coverted Glock owner. I had a .357 SIG compact. It was dependable, and was good quality. It was nice for carrying due to size and weight, but I just couldn't get the groupings at 25 yds. that I wanted, and it took too long for me to get sight aquisition. It also had quite a bit of muzzle flip. A friend of mine had an older Colt Mark IV Series 70 government model, all original, no modifications. He said to give it a try. It had the short sights, arched grip, and quite a bit of play in the slide, but I gave it a try. It felt great in my hand, was easy to aquisition the target, and the muzzle flip wasn't bad at all. It was the first time I shot a 1911-A1, let alone a .45 ACP. I shot 3" groupings. I was hooked!

I didn't like Para's double stack due to grip size, but they just came out with a single. I think it is a nice gun. I also think the SIG is a nice gun. However, for my selection I looked at Kimber, Springfield, and Dan Wesson. The Les Baer's are out of my price range. My gun dealer(and gunsmith) had spent quite a bit of money accurizing and customizing his Springfield. He said any of those three were good guns. However, he stated that he had spent quite a bit of time tuning other peoples extractors, and that this was a weak point of the 1911 after about ever 1000 rounds. He stated that he liked the external extractor design. The Kimbers have some guns with an external, but I do not like the way that they flaired the ejector at the ejection port. I had the chance to take all three apart, and felt the Dan Wesson had the best machining. All that said, I ended up getting a Dan Wesson Patriot Expert, and plan on trying it out this weekend. I hope that I will not be disappointed.

I have three questions for you all:
    1) What is the best type of defensive ammo to use in your opinion?
    2) Is a +P loaded that much of a benefit, and is it o.k. for the gun? Dan Wesson recommends using a 230 g. or a different spring weight may be required.
    3) Is the Lasermax o.k. since it replaces the recoil rod? Would a Crimson grip laser be better?

Thanks for your time and input....Greg
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Greg, welcome to TFF.

The Dan Wesson 1911 should serve you well. For personal defense, I use Black Talon or Federal Hydra-Shok ammo in 230 gr.

Most encounters with bad guys will be at 7 yards or less so why the laser sight ???
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Greg.....welcome to TFF.

1.) I prefer Federal Hydra-Shok 230 gr.

2.) +P is OK for the gun, but if you use it on a regular basis, I'd go to a heavier recoil spring.....about 18 - 20 lbs.

That having been said.......no, I don't think that for defensive purposes +P has that much benefit....and the additional recoil can be annoying.

3.) Can't comment. I don't use lasers.

I personally prefer the internal extractor.......easy to replace and easy to "tweak"......and I've never had one break or go out of tune in less than 5,000 rounds. If you have an internal extractor last only 1000 rounds, throw it away and get a Wilson, or, if you can find it, and old GI one. They last forever.

You mentioned muzzle "flip" and sight acquisition......here's a way to make the recoil work for you:

The handle angle and balance of a M1911 are almost perfect for comfort and accuracy if you allow them to work for you......just remember, "locked wrist, loose elbow".

Keep your shooting wrist locked and allow the recoil to raise the gun, using your elbows as a fulcrum....then you reacquire the sight on the target as the gun comes down.

Don't force it.....it should be a natural "rock & roll" rhythm. And.........practice, practice, practice.
  4. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Welcome to TFF Greg! I also consider myself a "New" 1911 owner. Still learning by reading from these folk's...;)
  5. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

WELCOME GREG

230 grain all the way

,I will soon be at number four in the 1911’s,but as far as the extractor goes get a Wilson bullet proof ,it will be the last one you need for the life of the gun

I prefer series 70 only ,no external extractors ,no double stack mags ,and most defiantly not that lda crap para is pushing ,and not the kimber ll ,series one I would love ,old school all the way

oh! and none of this polymer crap
  6. Greg

Greg New Member

Thanks for the input

Thanks to everyone for their inputs.

X, thanks for the shooting tips. My friend who was in the army, and now the air force (he is a doc), has seen some action in South America and the Gulf. He uses the Weaver stance at the range and shoots the way you mentioned. He is a die hard 1911 believer. Another friend who is a Navy Seal, and was a BUDS trainer, uses the ISO triangle. He is a die hard SIG believer since that is what most of them use when not in the water. Both shoot the p*** out of the targets when we have gone out to the range together when they visit.

Shooter, a good point about the laser. While I think you are correct overall, these are the reasons:

1) I don't know how accurate I would be when the chips are down since I have been fortunate enough to not face the situation yet. I know...practice.

2) Since I haven't faced the situation, my skills would be put to the test, and placing the light on the target is faster when your mind might not be working the best. I know...practice.

3) I live out in the boonies, and have horses, so I do a walk around a couple of times a night to check out the property, and make sure the horses are o.k. health-wise. Where I live, down by the border, there are some issues that can come up. The neighbors that live around me have horses as well-expensive horses. While I know that would be the last thing on my mind if the chips were down, improving my odds of hitting my target, and not have it stray into an animal is just a little better piece of mind for me. It may, however, be a waste of money as you say.

4) People may not see that you have a gun right away, but a red dot on them is probably is all that would be needed to tell them there are better places to be, and avoid the confrontation. If you ever do have to shoot someone, the legal issues can be a mess, and also expensive- whether you are in the right or not.