New 308 brasss, full size? neck size? or ......

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jacksonco, Sep 20, 2009.

1. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

just trim it and load it? I neck size my fired brass. I size my new pistol brass before loading. What about new rifle brass folks? What do you all do?
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Since the brass is new the body is sized correctly as it comes. But the necks on some will be dinged, bent and/or distorted by the packaging method used for shipping (thrown into a box or plastic bag and banged around). I would at least neck size them all just to be sure. The trim length should be checked on about 10 cases randomly picked. I would be very surprised to find a lot of new brass that required trimming. Remember that this new brass, if it had been diverted to the ammo manufacturing line, would have been reloaded directly without sizing, trimming, or anything. I always chamfer the case's necks to be sure the bullets will enter the case without the bullets catching on a burr.

LDBennett
  3. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Thanks LD, that was along my line of thinking.
  4. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

+1 LD,
    I neck size new brass to remove the dings. I also check length on it, but don't trim (unless it's excessive) until after its been fired. This gives the brass a chance to swell to my chambers dimension prior to me messing with it.
  5. medalguy

medalguy Member

I always FL resize even new brass. I have had several bags of brass that have been incredibly banged up, with some of the cases actually out of round, and many with necks dinged or bent. Not a bad idea to resize just to be on the safe side.