The Firearms Forum banner

New .357 for Christmas.4" Brrl. What holster

2K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
I have been looking at the Fobus paddle roto holster for my new gun.
Any body have any experience with this?
If not. any one have a recommendation for a good all day carry holster.
Inside or outside waist band.
Maybe shoulder also. K frame. Rossi.

#4 ·
I have the standard Fobus Paddle Holster(s) and my main carry is the Glock 19 9mm and for me, I wear it till I go to bed and then back on and for me, very comfortable.
However, everyone's different when it comes to what type of holster and how they fill to each.

I also have one for my Bersa CC .380 and love it....light and very comfortable.
Just got another one for my CZ-52....(pistolis heavy and not really made to be a carry gun) but it works while out target shooting.

Everyone will say a different thing about any holster and have different preferences and
understandably so.

Speaking on my own use of the Fobus Paddle Holster(s), I like them very much!

#6 ·
I've got a couple of Fobus paddles. When I first started wearing one, it was a pain in the - thigh. :D Damn plastic paddle dug into my upper leg every time I took a step.

But either I grew a callous or got used to it, or something, because after a couple of days I didn't notice it any more.

I have seen youtube video of someone going up to another guy, who is wearing a gun in a Fobus, and grabbing the rig with both hands, jerking it somehow and breaking the holster body away from the paddle, so the "aggressor" is standing there with the holstered gun in his hand and the "victim" is disarmed.

Whether that is real or faked - I don't know. I believe it is just about as possible that that will happen, as it is that someone will grab the front of my Beretta 92 and disassemble it before I can shoot them. It's possible to do it, but I don't see it happening in real life.

I have no experience with the rotary paddle, though. Sounds like a good idea, if it works.

I prefer leather. :D

#9 ·
Thanks for all the replys. I will go to the LGS that it was bought from and see if they have a used one in their holster trough or see if they will open one up so I can try it.
There ya go, that is exactly what I did on my first one and they (my LGS) was happy to assist! ;)

#11 ·
Thanks Zane. Been looking at ebay.
I also sell there. Have a couple.
There was a roto for $30. But I missed it.
There is a non roto right now for low price, but it is not a roto.
But, for the price I could buy it,try it, and If I don't like it, resell it on ebay.
I have to go look at another thread, a person is a security guard and bought a leather one that is a roto.
I just don't want a drawer with a bunch of holsters.

#12 ·
Why not? I've got a huge box full of holsters.

If you like pistols, and have several, you end up with two boxes - one full of holsters and one full of grips.

It's a fact of life - like "eat beans and cabbage and you will fart". Accept it. Embrace it.

:D

#14 ·
ONE HOLSTER EACH?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :eek:

No wonder holsters cost so damn much money. You're not doing your part, by buying bunches and bunches of 'em, to help keep prices down. :p

#15 · (Edited)
Well everyone sure is buying enough of the nylon ones, they are cheap enough and plenty of them.
My son bought me a nylon paddle so I would at least have 1 holster.
I picked it out so it is sturdy when I go out prospecting, or hunting and have to crawl through the manzanita, and bushes just to get where I want to go.
So, a sturdy but light.
The choices for a 4 inch K frame just are not that plentiful.
Still looking for a leather, paddle, 4 inch for K frame,belt and metal slide attachment, with a nice thumb release.
Will start looking for a S&W 4 inch model 586 holster which should be close.

#16 ·
You won't like it.

I bought a holster for a 4" K. The holster, supposedly, fit "K & L" frames. No. Fortunately I have a 3" L, so I whacked an inch off the bottom and turned it into a holster for my 696. Wasn't a total loss.

My point is, if you need a K-frame holster, look for a K-frame holster, because a L-frame holster ain't nowhere near close enough.

#18 ·
A K-frame is a model 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 64. 65. 66. 67.

That's a (in order) 38, 357, 38, 38, 32, 22, 22, 357, 38, 357, 357 and 38. :D

#21 ·
Yeah. For a 4" K-frame, I've got

some no-name strong-side thumb-break,
a Bianchi Cyclone thumb-break cross-draw,
a couple of Uncle Mike's nylon,
a Buchheimer half-breed cross-draw,
a Safariland cross-draw,
a Bianchi X15 vertical shoulder rig,
a Tom Threepersons strongside,
some South American thumb-break pancake
and a USGI M3.

That's ten, and I'm pretty sure I've only got four 4-inch K-frames.

#25 ·
Question: I always carried a semi-auto so I never worried much about shooting myself in the foot. Never owned a wheel gun until the Taurus 605 .357. What's the best way to carry... Fully loaded or with one hole empty (under the hammer)? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I'm pretty active and sure as heck don't want the Taurus to blow my big toe off!

#26 ·
I just used the Phobus paddle holster for the first time today for my new 357 mag revolver (S&W 686). This gun is NOT small - an "L" frame revolver.

I have used Phobus paddles for my Glock autos for about a year and it has been the best solution for me. ...Also not small guns. I tried several carry options.

Anyway, the Phobus revolver holster was more comfortable than the Phobus auto holster. For concealed carry, you probably need a baggie shirt if it is a 357 mag. I carry open here in TN, at times.

What I really like about the Phobus holsters is that you can hit the inside with a hair drier or heat gun and then mold the plastic to your gun - exactly.

#27 ·
Question: I always carried a semi-auto so I never worried much about shooting myself in the foot. Never owned a wheel gun until the Taurus 605 .357. What's the best way to carry... Fully loaded or with one hole empty (under the hammer)? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I'm pretty active and sure as heck don't want the Taurus to blow my big toe off!
Welcome to the forum! I would load it to the gills, and carry it that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.