The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New 45acp load using unique & 200gr lswc

12K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
New load for me anyway. I've been using 5.5grns of bullseye with 200 grn lswc lately and getting great results form my Les Baer 1911 premier II 5" barrell.

Well wouldn't you know it. I ran out of powder so I went to bass pro (s)hoping to get some new powder maybe some titegroup or powerpistol not neseccarily for the 200gr lead bullets but because I read a lot of good articles and threads on this powder being accurate in the 1911. Of course they had neither one as usual (guess I need to have them order it). Man I hate stupid gun laws. Sorry getting off the subject. Anyway I picked up a lb. of unique. Thought it would be different but when I got home I realized I already had unique and a lot of it. (next time - I drive an hour remember to make a note of what I already have and exactly what I want).

Well I got it, might as well use it. Here is what I tried and I what I came up with so far in case anyone needs a reference. I know I will 3 months from now. (Also - if anyone knows a good load for unique, red dot, blue dot with 200grn lead swc for 45acp please let me know so I may use up the rest of my powder). Also my 1911's seem to prefer the max loads better with the 18lb springs I have in them.

All loads below are using Win lage pistol primers and various 45acp brass with 200grn lead SWC bullets and set to 1.19oal

First try with unique:
4.2grns - shot four or five rounds barely wanted to cycle and seem to ftf on the 2nd or 3rd shot. Lots of powder left in the barrel. Used the .53 lee auto disk per the Lee 2nd edition modern reloading which states max chare of 5.1 grns.

Second try with unique:
4.6-4.8grns - shot much better but this sill a little light for my gun. Ocassional ftf and some powder in the barrel. used the .57 disk.

3rd try with unique:
5.0 grns - Ah this feels better and it is cycling just fine. A little powder left in the barrel, but seems to be the same as compared to the bullseye powder loads. I will stop with this load and give it a try at the range in the next few days. Accuracy seems to be 1" or less freehanded at 20 yards with the 3 rounds I shot in my back yard.

I will load up a couple of hundred rounds and see how it does as far as reliable and grouping out to 50 yrds on a rest. The gun I'm using is guarenteed to shoot 1.5" at 50yards so that will give me something to go far. I know with the 5.5-5.8grns of bullseye I was putting them in the same hole at 7yds and all touching at 15 yards free handed but that has been about the just of my accuracy testing.

After I shoot these rounds I may go up to 5.2-5.3grns of unique to see what it will do.

Thanks to all and any who cares. Now I will contiue my search for other loads with these 3 powders and 200grn lead bullets.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like you are reloading using Lee equipment. I say this because you make reference to a .57 disk. I dumped them long ago and use the Lee Charge bar. It's pretty much set it and forget it. I dial it in and weigh the loads until I get the charge I want then I only weigh about every 10th or 15th to ensure it is still on. So far it has only varied by about +/- .2 grains at the most.

#4 ·
Thanks guys!!
Verdejt, I use the turret press. That charge bar I was looking at that a while back and was wondering if it worked good. It just replaces the disk right? Plus you can dial it to the charge you want whereas with the disk the charge you need is in between whats available with the disk cavity's some time. I'm getting ready to order some stuff from midway so I will give one of those a try. I also got to replace the hopper one of the screws is almost breaking. It's always been a great press for the cost but I would like a little improvement on the powder charging.

Hey I got a can of hodgesons Universal I'm going to make some loads to try as well. I shot a few with I believe 6.6grns and they seemed to pretty good had the feel of the bullseye plus it seemed to be cleaner.

#5 ·
Once you put the charge bar in the powder measure you won't have to keep unscrewing the hopper. I also recommend the swivel adapter I just added one to my setup and it works great. I have the 4 hole autoindexing turret press.

#6 ·
200 grain lead SWC pushed by a moderate to high dose of Unique is the old standard 'combat' load. The recomended amount of powder changes over time, so I won't try to remember what I used to use; but it's a good load.

I've switched over to WW231 for most handgun applications. It loads about any handgun in about any bullet weight. (The heaviest magnum loads need a slower powder.) 231 is also finer grained and measures better in a measure.

However, Unique still works, and measures well enough not to worry over.

For a light plinking or target load, use the same bullet and between 3.5 and 4.0 grains of Clays. Very clean and very consistent. You just won't get the top end velocity of Unique or 231 or 'other'. But for paper or tin cans, who cares?
----------------------------------
What are you doing sitting here? Go load something!
Archie

#8 ·
I just read an article in american handgunner, that a very old load is 3.5grns of bullseye useing 200grn lead swc, which is a target load, but will it cycle? especially in my glock 30.YES I know about useing a glock with lead but until I receive the springfield that I ordered I'll have to use my glock 30, which I have great affection for............

#17 ·
Does your Glock 30 lead any more than any other 45?
I have two 30s's and a 41. I am in the process of loading some 200lswc (1,000 so far) over 5gr of W231.
I came across a lead removing formula, when I first read about I was skeptical about how it work being made from one consumable and one not consumable but not toxic.
It is made from 50% white vinegar and 50% hydrogen peroxide.
I mixed up about 150ml in a glass beaker, and dropped in a 148gr .38 wadcutter.
As soon as the slug hit the bottom of the beaker bubbles started coming off.
After 15 minutes I took it out and is was 10g lighter.
I had a Marlin camp carbine that I used to shoot lead bullets and I had not shot it in many years and the bbl. had a lot of leading, I taped up the muzzle then poured this mixture in and let sit for 30 minutes. A brass brush and an oiled patch it looked new.

#12 ·
I just read an article in american handgunner, that a very old load is 3.5grns of bullseye useing 200grn lead swc, which is a target load, but will it cycle? especially in my glock 30.YES I know about useing a glock with lead but until I receive the springfield that I ordered I'll have to use my glock 30, which I have great affection for............
would appreciate an answer to WILL 3.5grns of BULLSEYE USEING 200GRN LEAD SWC CYCLE IN GLOCK 30 .......................THANK YOU GENTLEMEN............JER
7 minutes isnt a whole lot of time for our members to spit out free information for you. So heres a suggestion. Perhaps you could load a few and try it.. then post back and let us know if it worked.

#13 ·
It's amazing how much we think alike.

Load ten of 'em up, put 'em in your gun and pull the trigger.

Hell, even if they cycle MY gun, there is no guarantee they will cycle YOUR gun.

Oh yeah, and "Oh My God, my post has been there for SEVEN MINUTES, and no one has answered yet" is a little - hmmmm, ain't supposed to use that kind of language on this board.

#14 ·
Thats why I keep coming back here Alpo. Im surrounded by folks that think exactly like I do. :)

#18 ·
Hydrogen Peroxide is an oxidizer. It doesn't care if it's lead, jacket metal or barrel steel.

Easiest, most fun way I've found to remove lead is follow up with a magazine or cylinder or two of jacketed bullets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.