New acquisition!

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Pistolenschutze, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Well, I done did it again! Bought myself a new pistol, that is. :D I've wanted a decent 9mm short-barreled automatic for concealed carry for quite a little while now, but just never got around to picking one up . . . plus the cost of the damn things these day tended to give me heartburn anyway. :rolleyes: I finally decided the best affordable compromise I could find was going to be a Glock 26. I like Glocks personally, and the 26 is exactly the size I was looking for. I was heading out to Colorado Springs to visit the big gun store up there to buy the Glock ($510 plus tax), and on impulse, I stopped by the shop of a local dealer here in town first. He didn't have a Glock, but he did have what I ended up buying . . . a Taurus PT-111, believe it or not, with the new double/single trigger setup they've come out with. And it cost me nearly $100 less than the Glock would have.

Say what you will about Taurus, but they are building some VERY nice pistols these days. With this new trigger setup you get the best possible compromise between single and DAO operation. The pistol can be simply carried as a traditional single/double, i.e, double action first shot, single action for the remainder of rounds in the mag . . . OR, it may be carried in cocked single-action mode with a manual safety on, or with it off if one prefers. Essentially, when cocked it becomes a striker-fired pistol, much like a Glock yet with a long trigger take up, but about a 3.5 lb. trigger pull when the let-off point is reached. It has internal safeties, much like the Glock, that make it perfectly safe to carry this way. One of the biggest advantages of this new setup, what really makes it different from a traditional single/double, is that if the trigger is pulled and the hammer falls but the weapon does not fire (bad cartridge, etc.) the trigger resets to double action mode allowing a second strike using double action without manually working the slide to re-cock the piece. In addition, the mag on this pistol holds 12 rounds of 9mm instead of the 10 for a Glock, yet the grip is much thinner than the Glock and fits my hand much better

Anyway, so far like it a lot. I'll get a range report posted next week when I have a chance to put it through its paces. :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2008
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Sounds an excellent handgun Pistol. I look forward to reading about how it handles on the range?

I have seen Taurus improve their products considerably over the last thirty odd years. I have often thought that while offering first class products, they were still regarded my some not as good as the Glocks and Smiths etc, which they most certainly are.
  3. I believe it will turn out to be an excellent weapon, Tranter. I've said for quite some time that Taurus is often underrated by American shooters due to ethnocentrism more than anything else. Taurus can build what they sell more cheaply than American or European firms simply because the cost of labor is quite a bit cheaper in Brazil than in the US or Europe. That factor usually equates to a less expensive product at the retail level. With a short barrel (3.25 inches), I don't expect it to be a tack driver, but it should be more than adequate for self-defense use.
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

You know Pistol my dictionary has had more use since meeting you than in the previous five years. :)

As for the potential of your new handgun, 'dinner plates at twenty yards' as we used to say.

When someone produced a nice tight group we would say 'now give me a dinner plate in half the time'.
  5. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

Pistol, I have the Taurus P-138 which is the same gun only in .380 and I have been very satisfied with it. It has been my conceal carry weapon for almost two years and everytime I take her to the range for a feeding she never disappoints, the only problem I ever had was with a magazine, which once replaced, worked flawlessly. I was so happy with my Taurus semi-auto, that I also bought a Taurus snub revolver and it has proved to be a fanastic weapon as well, the wife loves it too... in fact I haven't seen that revolver in a while.... hmmmmm
  6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Pistol, congratulations on the purchase! I love the PT-145 I have, but consider it too large for carry except in/under a big bulky coat. I haven't seen the new trigger setup, and didn't even know about it. It sounds like a really neat concept. Dang you, I'll have to go fondle one at the gun store now... :)
  7. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Sounds kind of like what H&K did in what... the 80's?

Of course H&K fails on the price point, and probably the size too.
  8. I'd love to have an H&K, but as you say, the price is beyond my reach for now at least. Nearly $1,000 for a pistol is a bit steep, much as I would like to have one.
  9. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

Say what you will about Taurus, but they are building some VERY nice pistols these days.

No doubt, but I miss old world craftsmanship. You know, when one person would polish that, and then pass it along for the next craftsman, to knock off the rough edges.

Not knocking your Taurus, but it used to be so much better (craftsmanship, that is).

Please excuse my whining, I am only complaining about workmanship long lost. Why? That's another thread. :mad:
  10. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I actually picked up my (stainless) USPc for only $605, but it was definitely a lucky find. But even at that price range it is a bit higher, not to mention there is still the size concern. I carry my USPc every day, but I am starting to understand the "size/weight" concern. Particularly weight, I for one am getting tired of having to cinch my belt into oblivion to keep my pants on :rolleyes:.

I do love my USP, but I don't think it will be that long before I get over the sweet allure (and frankly my love for it) of the USP and carry one of the other pistols I am looking at for that size/weight reason. Currently have my eye on an XD and a Smith and Wesson 637.
  11. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

Well Pistol, I have made it one month cigarette free and the wife wanted to reward me (she is the awesomest wife ever!(and is awesomest a word?)) Well she has heard me talk about getting a Taurus Millienium in 9mm and she acted on it.

Here is the pistol (blurry I know)

[​IMG]

and here is me happy with my new present:

[​IMG]

I cannot wait to put this gun thru the paces, but I am sure it will function just as well as my .380

This is now the second handgun I have gotten as a direct result of the TFF, God Bless this Forum!
  12. I think you will definitely like that little Taurus, Xavier. I sure like mine! I haven't had an opportunity to shoot mine yet, that must wait until Sunday, but I sure like the feel of the little gun.