1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

New and Confused

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by quadcrazy, Nov 17, 2009.

1. quadcrazy

quadcrazy New Member

I am new to reloading and would like some guidance. I just purchased a new Lyman turret press and other needed reloading equipment including reloading supplies for reloading 38 special with assistance from Cabela's employee. After reading the Lyman reloading manual, it seems that the 38 special brass, primers, bullets and powder don't match any recipes in the book. How should I go about this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If you've got 38 special brass, it doesn't matter if yours is Federal and the book lists a load with Remington. It will work.

If you've got lead bullets, you need to use data for lead bullets (not jacketed data), but if you have 158 RN and the book has data for 158 SWC, it will work. If you have 122 grain bullets, and the book has data for 125 grain, it will work.

If you've got Small Pistol primers (not Small Pistol Magnum), and they are Winchester, while the book used CCI, it will work.

Powder - you've got to use what it says in the book. If you've got 4895, and the book doesn't have any 4895 loads, don't try to make your own. Bad, Bad idea. BOOM very likely.

But if you've got a powder that is listed in the book's data, and SP primers, no matter who made 'em, and bullets that are within 5 grains of the listed bullet weight (either up or down), it'll work. Just start with the lowest listed load, and work up.

I was loading 38 special, using CCI primers. Switched to Winchester. Nothing else changed. Shooting a cylinderful of mixed loads, I could feel the difference. The ones with the Winchester primers were hotter. But my loads were nowhere near max, and even being hotter, they were still safe. My loads are loaded in mixed brass - WW, CCI, Fed, RP, SB, SupVel, you name it. Never any problems. I've loaded 9mm 122 grain TC bullets in 38s, using 125 grain bullet data. I've not had any problems.

You can swap anything else, but not the powder.

What components do you have?
  3. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Welcome to TFF Quadcrazy!

No sure if I understand your question but are you loading for 38spl & there's not 1 recipe in your reloading manual? :confused:

38spl is like the most common rd out there..... what are you using for a reloading manual? Make sure you're in the pistol section of the book & not the shotshell or rifle section.

SR :)
  4. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Thanks Alpo! You beat me to it. :D I was headed in the direction that you went, next, & now I won't have to do all that typing! (Wiping my forehead - whew!)

SR :)
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF ! Could you list exactly what you have available to you? This will help us out alot. +1 for Alpo's advice also, but being a new reloader, I want to make darn sure you understand what you're looking at in the manual. We're here to help and glad to do it. So give us a little more info and we'll get you headed down a safe and enjoyable path.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I read it as - he has (example) WW brass and 150 grain bullets and Wolf primers, and the Lyman book loads their 38s in (I just checked in mine) Federal cases, using CCI primers, and while they have 155 and 158 grain loads, they don't have 150. So he couldn't find a recipe to match the stuff he bought.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

This guys a first... A newby that is sticking to the data;) Alpo offers sound advice, as long as you stay away from max charges you can substitute everything but the powder. BTW, welcome to the madness:D
  8. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

A good source of information for reloading is "Lee's Modern Reloading". It has all kinds of really good information and a lot of different loads for different calibers. Pick up as many manuals for reloading as you can as they all are good sources for loading info. Good Luck.
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The Lyman reloading manual is the one I usually recommend to beginners. However, it is a bit of a toss up between them and the one from Lee. Both are very good.

The important thing is to match your powder to your bullet shape, material and weight. Five or even ten grains plus or minus on the bullet weight is not big deal, so long as you are not loading to the MAX. Look up by cartridge, bullet and then powder. Cases and primers will not make a large difference until you get into the very fine details of the hobby. Just make sure you don't use magnum primers when the recipe calls for regular primers. If loading pistol ammo, small rifle and large rifle primers in place of small pistol and large pistol primers is not advised.

Keep the questions coming.

Pops
  10. quadcrazy

quadcrazy New Member

I really appreciate all your help. Everyone is giving great feedback. At this point I will be more clear about what I have. I'm loading 38 special.

• Lyman 49th edition reloading handbook
      Remington brass
      Hodgdon HP-38 (which I understand was designed for loading 38 caliber
      Winchester 38/357 - 125 gr. JHP notched
      CCI small pistol primers

The Lyman manual doesn't have a recipe with these components so what guidelines do I follow?

I also checked the Hodgdon Website and they do not have a recipe listing these components either.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  11. quadcrazy

quadcrazy New Member

12. woolleyworm

I know now exactly what you are having a problem with. If you have the hard cover copy of the Lyman 49th, you are looking at pg 353. There is no data for HP-38. HP38 and Win231 are identical powders, if you call Hogdons, they will verify this. All load data that I have seen in the last couple years shows identical charges between the two. This has also been discussed on the forum here as well.
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=59951&highlight=hp-38 231
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=66696&highlight=hp-38 231
    So, while I would normally advise not to substituting any powder data whatsoever; this is one case where you can safely use the data for W231. start at the min loads and work your load up from there.
  13. quadcrazy

quadcrazy New Member

Excellent!! What about bullet? They list a Hornady 125 gr. JHP. Can I substitute any 125 gr. JHP?

The Lyman book on page 353 doesn't list the Win231, I'm assuming the 231 that's listed in the Win231 your referring to.

As you can tell, when it comes to loading potentially deadly bullets, I'm being very cautious.
  14. woolleyworm

Not a problem, they're both JHP's and very similar design. As you work up your load from min - your sweet spot you may find differences in results if you were to compare the two.

Yes, 231, W231, Win231 are all Winchester 231 powder. Never hurts to be cautious and always pays to ask and double check.;)
  15. RustyFN

RustyFN Member