New antique musket owner.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mcredimus, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Reference muzzle loaders left loaded.

In general, rifles were very rarely left loaded, though nothing should be taken as certain. But rifles were used for hunting and usually when the hunter left the woods, he fired off the charge before heading for home.

But shotguns ALMOST ALWAYS were left loaded. In the old farm houses, the shotgun stood by the kitchen door, waiting for the squalling and screeching that signalled a fox attacking the chicken coop. The farmer grabbed the gun, reached up to the top of the kitchen cabinet for the caps and headed out to take on Mr. Fox.

When the old folks passed on, and the farm became a housing development, the old gun was kept by the family, few of whom knew anything about muzzle loaders. Several generations of kids played cowboys or soldiers with the old gun, never knowing it was loaded. Sometimes they put toy caps on the nipples and sometimes the old gun went off with results either tragic or comic, hopefully the latter.

So a good rule is to ALWAYS treat any muzzle loader, no matter how or when acquired, as loaded until you KNOW different.

Jim
  2. mcredimus

mcredimus New Member

Here is a pic of the top. Thanks again for all the help everyone.
  3. mcredimus

mcredimus New Member

Forgot to attach.

Attached Files:

4. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

It appears to be a hooked breech. If so, there is no need to remove the two tang screws. Once the pin and ramrod are removed, the barrel should lift right out with the hammer pulled back. BUT be very careful not to chip the wood and don't let that hammer drop--you might ding something. Google for instructions if you aren't sure.
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

has he determined that it is not loaded i hope
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

The top view looks exactly like my ancestor's similar half-stock, which just has a solid screwed in breech plug with attached tang.

So just in case the barrel doesn't lift out easily, don't try to force it, and remove the tang screws.

(And let us know who was right) :)
  7. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

I could be wrong--I was wrong once before when I thought I was wrong but found out I was right. Very embarassing.
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

If I had to bet on it I'd bet its hooked.
  9. mcredimus

mcredimus New Member

I removed the screws because I did not want to pull to hard. I thought if it was hooked it could be rusted together, The ("tang"? ) goes into the center of the back of the barrel. It is pretty rusted and seized so If it is a screw in I am just leaving it alone. With a very weak hammer and the barrel lose on the stock due to the hole that the pin goes through being completely rusted away, I know it is not fire-able. Unless I intend to get it into condition to fire I will not be doing anymore tinkering with it. Maybe after Auburn stops consuming every penny I make, I may start looking for a reputable restoration gunsmith. I do appreciate everyone's help.

Unless there are any more questions about this rifle, I would like to move onto questions I have about the other pieces I inherited.
  10. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

OOOh, the comment on loaded BP guns brings to mind my toil in the local museum some 50 years back. I was one of the kids saddled with the task of cleaning up old muskets before deciding which ones to put on display. There must have been a couple hundred that we went thru. Yes, there were some still loaded, several had more than THREE loads, one had a massive SIX loads stacked one on top of another. It was very sensitive work screwing a long threaded bit down the barrel, removing the projectile, then dumping the powder, caked pretty well now, and repeating the process until things were safely unloaded.

I don't relish doing that again.
  11. whirley

whirley Member

Meanwhile. a little penetrating oil around the breech should not cause a problem , and just might loosen things up. Keep oil away from the wood.
  12. mcredimus

mcredimus New Member

I think instead of asking more questions here I will start a new thread. "never fired 03-A3?"