1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

New AR-15 Upper

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by JohnBrainard, May 7, 2010.

1. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

I'm pretty sure I want a new upper receiver for my AR-15. I have a Bushmaster Predator that's a lot of fun to shoot, but I want something lighter and balanced better. I'd like something with a 16" barrel, rails on the hand guard and a carry handle or some sort of iron sights. I'd prefer to buy one already built that I can just pin to the lower I already have.

I'd like the Bushmaster Gas Piston upper, but I can't spend that much money on it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

then you want this:)
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=843983

It really depends on how much you want to spend. DPMS has a gazillion of variations to their uppers and are on the lower end of cost. YHM, Daniel Defense and Sabre are middle of the road. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have an American Spirit Arms upper that has worked out really well for me. You may want to look at their uppers. Mine is a varmint version with match barrel but they make what you are looking for:

http://www.americanspiritarms.com/catalog/Upper_Assemblies-2-1.html

Remember the uppers are not BATF controlled and you can order them off the internet with no dealer involvement, at least here in CA, which is one of the most gun controlled states (but apparently not the worst, yet). Most of the upper are Mil Spec and should easily fit any Mil Spec lower. My ASA upper has been on two different relatively unknown lowers and fit and functioned perfectly.

LDBennett
  4. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

6. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

Ah yes! :)

I went digging around Midway after I responded and found that. The price is a bit high, though. It'd be nice to keep it around $500 to $600. I may reconsider if they're that much better, though.
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

honestly I don't think that they are better, they just look cooler;) Plus they are on back order. The arrival dates are total BS on that site. There was a upper that I was going to order back in February. Every day I checked the arrival date was one day later. And now as I can see, they still don't have it. Glad I built mine piece by piece.
  8. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

That's good to know then! I don't want to spend the extra money if they really aren't any better. I can update the appearance over time. I really just want the basic, completed upper receiver. I'll definitely put the guards on the rails, though. They look better to me and they're probably a lot more comfortable.

Now I gotta get my wife to give me the funds for this! :)
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Build your own for a nice price.
    Simple to build with minimal tools. Just make sure in a small enclosed area when you install those pesky little springs.:eek:;)

http://www.del-ton.com/
  10. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

I suppose that's a possibility. I do already have a complete upper that I could look at for reference. I might have to consider that if it'll save enough.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I was going to suggest del-ton but Bob beat me to it. I bought a complete upper from them a couple of years ago at a fairly good price. I am thinking about building another AR and will probably use their uppers again if it do.