1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

New at reloading.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by GMFWoodchuck, Oct 9, 2008.

1. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I am wondering what good kits are available. I guess I'm looking for something that "has everything included." I don't want to buy a kit and find out that I need more stuff on top of that. Do I want a multi-stage machine or is that a bunch of money just to save time? I can't imagine really loading much more than a hundred or two at a time.

Most of my reloading will be for my new 22-250 Savage 12FV, and some for my Dad's 30-40 Krag and his 30-30 '94. I suppose I will do some for my friend's .223 A-Bolt.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Don't buy anything until you have bought and read at least one reloading manual. You need to read, and re-read it until you understand the process thoroughly. Then decide which setup will work for you.

Single stage presses require many pulls of the handle and many positionings of the case into the press. Turret presses require the same number of handle pulls but you slide the table or the turret around for each operation avoiding re-postioning the case multiple times into the press. Perhaps it takes half the time for the same number of rounds in a turret press over a single stage. Just for your information, progessives have you put the case on the press once and each pull of the handle gets a finished round. That makes it take about 1/3 the time of a single stage press.

Here's some good examples:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=724116&t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=646599&t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=924848&t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=256779&t=11082005

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23594/catid/1/RL_550B

These are all good products that will last a lifetime. There are others that are cheaper but may not last even a reloading session, at least that is my experience.

But read, read, and re-read first. A good first choice of manuals is the Hornady manual as it explains how to reload, but also how cartridges work, and why we do what we do to them to reload them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=438424

LDBennett
  3. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Cool. Thanks for the info.
  4. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Like LD said, read and reread everything. Then when you think you know it all, you need to realize that you are not even close. There is waaaay more to this that many think. However, since I started a few months ago it is all I think about. I went with the turret press for the reasons that it is faster and easier that a single stage, but not fast enough to get me into trouble. Go sloooooow and don't think that you have it down and get sloppy. Also don't forget this board is here to help everyone, and I do mean everyone. I learn something just about everyday about reloading from here and from my own experience. Good Luck
  5. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

I've been reloading (on and off) for many years. Started with shot shells and now I'm doing wildcats. I've never been comfortable recommending anything except a single stage press for beginners.

As for kits, I suggest the Lee Anniversary. The biggest cost in reloading is the initial start-up, and Lee is very cost effective. When, and if, you decide to go progressive the components of the kit can still be used. Even the single stage press will be handy when used as a "stand alone" tool for seating primers or sizing cast bullets, as an example. Keep your costs low to start, and see how you take to reloading before spending a pile of money.

I agree with the others. Read first.
  6. artabr

artabr New Member

+1 on learn before you leap. ;) :D

One other thing, let your friend come over and load his own. Don't load for anybody but yourself and your family.
    It sounds selfish but better safe than sorry.

Art
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  7. sydsdaddy

sydsdaddy New Member

By the way I would rethink working something up for your friends. Nothing would probably ever happen but if something did involving a round you "made" and someone gets hurt, well you know what happens to "friends" when some lawyer is telling them they need to be compensated. If they want to come over and use your equipment just make sure they do EVERYTHING themselves and dont set yourself up for financial and emotional disaster. Just something to think about, I never did until someone brought it up to me a while ago. God Bless.
  8. sydsdaddy

sydsdaddy New Member

Atbar, sorry didnt notice you already posted the same thing before me, guess great minds think alike, or thats the story well go with lol.
  9. LDBennett

Contenderizer:

I have a little different take on recommending presses to a newbie. I think the minimum should be a turret press because you can easily use it as a single stage or for more volume (and less time) as a turret press. That alone may save the price of buying a single stage only to replace it later.

I do not recommend Lee (mostly). That's because my experience with their stuff has not been good. They have some very innovative products but seem to fall down on their choice of materials for production. Their bottom of the line progressive was a joke as it broke every reloading session for me. I have over 30 sets of dies, some are Lee, and the Lee dies are the only ones that rusted. I like their collet neck sizer and their factory crimp die but the collets eventually gall and have to be fixed by stoning them again and again.....poor material choices!

But we all get to choose what we want and the presses and kits I highlighted are some of the best. But your opinon may vary.

LDBennett
  10. LDBennett

Oh, and a friend can become a legal enemy when a lawyer convinces him that you have deep pockets. Don't reload for others. Don't help anyone reload until they are as educated as you are after having read and re-read a reloading manual and througly understanding how to reload. It is often sufficient for him to watch you reload your ammo to see if he is interested in gettin his own setup.

Some one here (he shall be un-named) had an "expert" reload for him and the "expert" overloaded the cartridges such that the gun was damaged by the reloads. It had to go back to the factory for a new extractor. Don't trust others to reload for you and don't reload for others.

LDBennett
  11. artabr

artabr New Member

Daddy, it ain't no problem, my friend.
    You may want to rethink that great minds thing on my end. Mine is always either confused or in the gutter. :p ;) :D

Art
  12. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

I'm with LD here. Especially if they are loading pistol. I started loading with a Lee classic turret press and discovered after two weeks that if I had started loading with a single stage press I would already be buying another press. The classic turret is a very sturdy press built to last a lifetime as I'm sure the other brands are.
    Rusty
  13. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s New Member

While Lee does not list it on their website, and midway does not offer it, Cabela's and a few other places offer a Lee reloading kit built around the Lee Classic (cast iron base) turret.

I prefer to use a single stage press in batch mode, partially because no turret press has the features of my co-ax, and because in batch mode, I get very used to the feel of the operation I am doing on round after round, and am better able to sense when something is wrong. I also have all my powder-filled cases in a loading block where they can be compared side by side for consistency, instead of having to remember whether this is the same amount of powder in there as it was four handle pulls ago. Batch style on a co-ax or LNL-fitted single stage press is just as fast as when done on a turret. Loading "semi-progressive" on a turret alternates several different operations, limiting the user's ability to develop that "feel" for when something is not right.

At least on a fully progressive press, everything is being done every time, so the operations, feel, and inspections should be exactly the same for every pull of the handle. Many progressive presses have a station that can be used for a powder check die too.

Andy
  14. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Fortunately, I like reading. So I will probably buy several reloading books anyways. It will be a little while before I buy a kit but right now I'm thinking the RCBS rock chucker supreme kit or a similar kit like that.
  15. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

LD and the others.

OK, I'll concede to the turret press. It's only about $20 more and doesn't require any more in the skill department. Lee's new Breech Lock is certainly worth a look-see.

My experience with Lee has been positive. LD is correct that there are better presses, but for the money Lee is hard to beat, especially for the beginner. And, they do stand by their warranty.