New bans on Russian imports?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Laufer, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Laufer

Laufer New Member

Reading the newspaper about fighting in Georgia reminded me of Wolf/Brown/Silver Bear etc ammo, which is manuf. in Russia.
    Not to mention the durable Mosin Nagant rifles which might also still be imported from there.

The terrible fighting in Georgia might stop very soon, but what will Congress or the White House try to do to limit Russian imports? Wouldn't a Democratic or future GOP-controlled Congress have little sympathy for such imported products, or try to slap high tariffs on products? Never mind the White House...wouldn't a sharp jump in Mosin-Nagant, SKS, AK prices result if we either stop importing Russian rifles and ammo or tax them to death, then rifle prices slump when Remington makes a killing on their ammo?

I'm sort of new to all of this and just barely understand the AWB.....trying to imagine the next problems.
    In a broader sense, a few websites which describe how many thousands of combat rifles were destroyed in recent years by eastern Euro nations is mind-boggling. Much of the motive appears to be the desire to limit access by unstable Third World regimes and guerrilla insurgents.
    Some of this destruction must be a requirement to be affiliated with the European Union or NATO (as with Romania's reportedly drastic cutbacks of AK exports), or both.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Laufer:

Since Clinton we, in the USA, destroy all military firearms no longer usable for the military. They don't even strip them for parts but just put them in a crusher. I knew of this practice but saw it first hand on a recent TV program. The guys were throwing M16 and the like into a large crusher/cutter and the small bits came out the other side. Think of what the still good piece parts would bring to the government if they slavaged the parts and sold them!

So you probably should not be so quick to judge other countries when we do the same thing here! It was just another way Clinton fought for gun control.....eliminate any pieces that might make another gun.

LDBennett
  3. Shellback

Shellback New Member

Selfish me I just ordered a Saiga 12 gauge last week. Wonder if and when they will get in now??
    Tim
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008