1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

new barrel for CVA hawkins

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by jbettin, Nov 18, 2009.

1. jbettin

jbettin New Member

Hi all, new to the forums here. I recently bought a CVA hawken .50 cal rifle that needs a new breech plug or a new barrel. problem is I cant seem to find either. CVA tells me to contact Deer Creek Products and I have tried calling them multiple times only to get a busy signal. So my next thought is to get a Green Mountain barrel and new breech plug from Dixe and try to make them fit( Barrel and breech plug )
    I bought the gun for $30 bucks though it would be an ez fix but i guess not. any thoughts on the subject?
  2. jbettin

jbettin New Member

so after some independent research and many unanswered or unhelpful phone calls to CVA and deer creek products:mad:, I have decided to just build a new gun kit, I was looking at the dixie gun works .50cal hawken is this a good kit or should I look at something else?
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

4. 32HR MAG

32HR MAG New Member

If you decide to sell the Hawkens,let me know.
  5. Kiltman

Kiltman New Member

I have one, too. It also is excellent except for the barrel. I do believe some folks just didn't know how to clean it. :-(

Why can't a consumer purchase a replacement? Most of us aren't machinists.

my 2 cents
  6. jbettin

jbettin New Member

new update, I finally got a hold of deer creek products and was able to order a new barrel, I guess they have just been very busy and thats why the phones were always busy. the replacement was $93 with shipping and it came in the white and there is a gunsmith here in town that will hot blue it for $40, so $103 for a new barrel isn't too bad since I pretty much gave up hope and was planning on building a new one. now i just need to see if i can order the under barrel rib and the little brass tubes that hold the ramrod since they seem to have been lost somewhere :confused: