new barrel for CVA hawkins

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by jbettin, Nov 18, 2009.

1. jbettin

jbettin New Member

Hi all, new to the forums here. I recently bought a CVA hawken .50 cal rifle that needs a new breech plug or a new barrel. problem is I cant seem to find either. CVA tells me to contact Deer Creek Products and I have tried calling them multiple times only to get a busy signal. So my next thought is to get a Green Mountain barrel and new breech plug from Dixe and try to make them fit( Barrel and breech plug )
    I bought the gun for $30 bucks though it would be an ez fix but i guess not. any thoughts on the subject?
  2. jbettin

jbettin New Member

so after some independent research and many unanswered or unhelpful phone calls to CVA and deer creek products:mad:, I have decided to just build a new gun kit, I was looking at the dixie gun works .50cal hawken is this a good kit or should I look at something else?
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

4. 32HR MAG

32HR MAG New Member

If you decide to sell the Hawkens,let me know.
  5. Kiltman

Kiltman New Member

I have one, too. It also is excellent except for the barrel. I do believe some folks just didn't know how to clean it. :-(

Why can't a consumer purchase a replacement? Most of us aren't machinists.

my 2 cents
  6. jbettin

jbettin New Member

new update, I finally got a hold of deer creek products and was able to order a new barrel, I guess they have just been very busy and thats why the phones were always busy. the replacement was $93 with shipping and it came in the white and there is a gunsmith here in town that will hot blue it for $40, so $103 for a new barrel isn't too bad since I pretty much gave up hope and was planning on building a new one. now i just need to see if i can order the under barrel rib and the little brass tubes that hold the ramrod since they seem to have been lost somewhere :confused: