New Brass, .243 Cracked neck

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by clepidus, Aug 7, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

same here.. in my oldest brass that has many relaods and has been thinning.. that's where I see fissures and perforations.. i have a few 222 and some 243 that made those exact ones at the neck or mouth..and have some 30-06 that did so lower on down the body of the case
  2. musketshooter

musketshooter New Member

The brass was not properly annealed before it was reduced from a straight wall case to a necked case. Send it back to Win and request a replacement.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Better yet.. send it back to winchester and ask for a refund.

I too am a fan of hornady match brass. Have tons of it.
  4. clepidus

clepidus Member

Yea I think I will send some of the cases back to Winchester. I am not so worried about it now. I was just given about 300 rounds of once fired Hornady brass from a friend who had to give up centerfire shooting due to a neck injury. Thanks again for all the input. One possibility is that I did not let the one shot dry long enough but I am sure it wasn't over worked as it was new brass and I only sized it to be sure it was right after banging around the country during shipping.

I will try and get some clearer pictures up but it looked like burn through to me before I polished them. I will take some pre-polish pics after we go shooting this weekend.

Thanks again for all the advice,

Mike
  5. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

The Win. factory moved a while back. New equipment & people. Seeing defects in brass & Large primers online.
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

If they have it laupa is all I use anymore.
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

The brass looks odd at the shoulder neck transition.
  8. soundguy

that's why I wondered if it was a 1-shot brass myself..
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Is that so? :)
  10. clepidus

clepidus Member

I think maybe the odd look is just a poor picture. I would post some decent pics only my son got a hold of my camera charger and I haven't replaced it yet. I guess those things are not made to go in the bathtub.
  11. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I won't buy Winchester brass anymore for rifles. Pistols is okay. Rifle brass sucks though. Had a bunch of split necks like this before.
  12. clepidus

clepidus Member

Well I am not sure what the problem was. I had about 20 more rounds in that run and none of them had problems. I ended up buying some factory ammo for hunting season just in case it was a big problem and now I am going to work up a few more rounds for her. I bought a bag of about 500 1x fired Hornady brass to use this time.

Thanks for the feedback!
  13. clepidus

clepidus Member

Well I'm bringing up this post again because I am 99% sure it was my error rather than bad product. I just got back to reloading in the last couple weeks and re-inspected the cases as well as sizing and trimming some new ones.

In the process I have noticed a few cases that are slightly folded so I think I over lubed them. The cracks then are caused from burn through. And maybe a combination of a light load causing some high pressure.

I came to this conclusion by resizing some more of the Winchester brass with my normal amount of lube on it. I had a few fold slightly on me. I then tried without letting it dry and had a more significant fold. Finally I did a few more with significantly less lube on them and they came out fine.

I know back when I rolled my cases in lube I did a few dry to clear up the due a little bit because of the residual lube it picked up. I wonder if maybe the spray lubes leave some excess in the due as well.

I guess the moral of the story is less is better and pay more attention on my QC. I was in somewhat of a hurry with these and let the inspections slip a little bit. I should have just bought some factory rounds for her to shoot so I had time to do things right the first time. I guess when you start to get over confident and rush $£|- happens.
  14. soundguy

yes, lube does collect int he die.

I know some lubes are not compatible, and you must clean the old lube out.

for instance.. the hornady 1shot spray lube says that if you hav ebeen using a water based lube.. like the rcbs roll-pad lube.. that you need to clean the dies before using the ?wax? based spray lube. etc..
  15. clepidus

clepidus Member

I clean the dies after each use usually. I use my M pro 7 gun cleaner and it does a great job. I can't remember if I switched during that batch though. I may have mixed them without knowing.