1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

New Brass, .243 Cracked neck

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by clepidus, Aug 7, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

same here.. in my oldest brass that has many relaods and has been thinning.. that's where I see fissures and perforations.. i have a few 222 and some 243 that made those exact ones at the neck or mouth..and have some 30-06 that did so lower on down the body of the case
  2. musketshooter

musketshooter New Member

The brass was not properly annealed before it was reduced from a straight wall case to a necked case. Send it back to Win and request a replacement.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Better yet.. send it back to winchester and ask for a refund.

I too am a fan of hornady match brass. Have tons of it.
  4. clepidus

clepidus Member

Yea I think I will send some of the cases back to Winchester. I am not so worried about it now. I was just given about 300 rounds of once fired Hornady brass from a friend who had to give up centerfire shooting due to a neck injury. Thanks again for all the input. One possibility is that I did not let the one shot dry long enough but I am sure it wasn't over worked as it was new brass and I only sized it to be sure it was right after banging around the country during shipping.

I will try and get some clearer pictures up but it looked like burn through to me before I polished them. I will take some pre-polish pics after we go shooting this weekend.

Thanks again for all the advice,

Mike
  5. 243winxb

243winxb New Member

The Win. factory moved a while back. New equipment & people. Seeing defects in brass & Large primers online.
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

If they have it laupa is all I use anymore.
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

The brass looks odd at the shoulder neck transition.
  8. soundguy

that's why I wondered if it was a 1-shot brass myself..
  9. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Is that so? :)
  10. clepidus

clepidus Member

I think maybe the odd look is just a poor picture. I would post some decent pics only my son got a hold of my camera charger and I haven't replaced it yet. I guess those things are not made to go in the bathtub.
  11. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I won't buy Winchester brass anymore for rifles. Pistols is okay. Rifle brass sucks though. Had a bunch of split necks like this before.
  12. clepidus

clepidus Member

Well I am not sure what the problem was. I had about 20 more rounds in that run and none of them had problems. I ended up buying some factory ammo for hunting season just in case it was a big problem and now I am going to work up a few more rounds for her. I bought a bag of about 500 1x fired Hornady brass to use this time.

Thanks for the feedback!
  13. clepidus

clepidus Member

Well I'm bringing up this post again because I am 99% sure it was my error rather than bad product. I just got back to reloading in the last couple weeks and re-inspected the cases as well as sizing and trimming some new ones.

In the process I have noticed a few cases that are slightly folded so I think I over lubed them. The cracks then are caused from burn through. And maybe a combination of a light load causing some high pressure.

I came to this conclusion by resizing some more of the Winchester brass with my normal amount of lube on it. I had a few fold slightly on me. I then tried without letting it dry and had a more significant fold. Finally I did a few more with significantly less lube on them and they came out fine.

I know back when I rolled my cases in lube I did a few dry to clear up the due a little bit because of the residual lube it picked up. I wonder if maybe the spray lubes leave some excess in the due as well.

I guess the moral of the story is less is better and pay more attention on my QC. I was in somewhat of a hurry with these and let the inspections slip a little bit. I should have just bought some factory rounds for her to shoot so I had time to do things right the first time. I guess when you start to get over confident and rush $£|- happens.
  14. soundguy

yes, lube does collect int he die.

I know some lubes are not compatible, and you must clean the old lube out.

for instance.. the hornady 1shot spray lube says that if you hav ebeen using a water based lube.. like the rcbs roll-pad lube.. that you need to clean the dies before using the ?wax? based spray lube. etc..
  15. clepidus

clepidus Member

I clean the dies after each use usually. I use my M pro 7 gun cleaner and it does a great job. I can't remember if I switched during that batch though. I may have mixed them without knowing.