The Firearms Forum banner

New Brass, .243 Cracked neck

10K views 55 replies 14 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everybody. I just pulled some brass out of the tumbler a few hours ago and found that over 50% of the rounds my wife shot this weekend cracked at the neck. This was new WW brass, I ran through a new set of dies, trimmed to spec and primer pockets uniformed. I used Hornady One Shot spray lube this time around and have read this may be part of my problem but I still want to get some different opinions. I have enclosed a few pictures although only one of them turned out somewhat clear. I hope somebody can shed some light on the issue.

Any opinions will be valued as this is my wife's rifle and she is new to Shooting and hunting and I don't want to start her out with a preventable incident caused by my ignorance.

The load is Winchester Primer, 40gr IMR 4350, pushing a 87gr Vmax. It is a light load that is extremely accurate and great for getting her a feel for the rifle. I was going to start bumping it up as we get into deer season since she got a doe tag in her first ever drawing.....(another story there as I have put in for 10 years with not a single draw)

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

See less See more
#53 ·
Try finding 12 gauge dove shells loaded with #9 or #10 shot. That is why I hand load my own shells. I don't do it to save money. If you were to dove hunt or shoot skeet with shells loaded with #10 shot, you would never buy preloaded shells from a store again.
i usedto birdhunt.. but not anymore. laws for bird hunting just keep getting thicker and thicker.

I do clay pigeons alot.. #7 has never let me down.. just have to hit what you are aiming at... and I now pretty much do it in 20g with a light 20 browning.. took afew shots to adjust.. but my shoulder is much happier for it.

#54 ·
I like #12 shot. Its incredibly hard to find. but I did find 2 25# bags at a local range shop. I use it to load my 'waspnest' loads.. Yes, i use a 12 ga, loaded with #12 trap loads to shot down Wasp nests in the barn from a safe distance.. Its more fun than a can of hornet spray and doesnt really damage the barn.. much.. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.