new brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Kemper
    (1/24/03 11:46:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All new brass
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i am going to reload some new brass for my 22-250,and my question is do i need to full length size it or can i just trim the case length and chamfer the neck inside and out?

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/25/03 1:04:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: new brass
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Kemper and a big welcome to TFF. Glad to have ya aboard!

As for new brass, you should always full length resize the first time, this will ensure that it chambers correctly in your weapon. Then measure case length and trim so that all cases start out the same length. Chamfer the case mouth lightly and away you go. After the first firing, the case will now fit "your chamber" and you can either full length resize or neck size after that. Remember, if neck sizing, it may not fit into any other weapon you may have of the same caliber. If used in multiple weapons, always full length resize or segregate the cases for each weapon. Happy shooting and let us know if you have any more questions.
    Improvise...Adapt...Overcome

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/25/03 1:30:40 pm)
    Welcome to the Board, Kemper!!

Inplantox done gave ya good info. Follow recommendations as given.

New brass is spit out by the factory in large quantities and dumped in large containers. As a result, cases are dented, necks are oval and primer flash holes are punched with little regard to ragged edges.

I always full length resize, trim to minimum length, bottom out primer pockets to square, flush bottom, ream and trim flash holes with inside chamfer, chamfer the ID and OD on the case mouths, then get to reloading. Check the new cases for cracks in the necks and bodies - crap happens and I normally find 2 or 3 cases out of a hundred that have to be discarded due to manufacturing defects.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/25/03 2:26:40 pm)
    Do you save your discards to send back to factory, or just dump them out to the recycler?

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/25/03 3:12:40 pm)
    Local trash barrel get them - figured the costs of mailing would be more than the cases were worth. A higher reject rate would warrant sending back to the manufacturer.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

1badmagnum
    (1/25/03 3:45:04 pm)
    I have been using starline brass exclusively with my 50 ae,440 and 44 magnum rounds.
    never have received dented/beat up cases.
    have ordered a few thousand,and have never gotten anything but perfect brass.
    all cases are within .002 of the correct trim lengh,and rarely do I trim them.

Kemper
    (1/25/03 10:37:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re:new brass
    Just wanted to thank all of you for your info,we got about 2'' of new snow tonight and i just got done loading 100 rounds of 22-250,we are going coyote hunting tomorow morning! My loads consist of: 50gr v-max bullets
    38.5gr H-380
    WW primers
    You can use more powder but i like the way it shoots with this load and i just stayed with it.