New Browning BLR Misfire

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Birdman, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Birdman

Birdman New Member

Hi folks,

Just picked up a Browning BLR 300 Wsm and I love it! Just yesterday I went out and shot it with some Re-loads. We are looking at the Barnes Tripple Shocks, 150 grain. Out of 25 rounds I found that I had One misfire (pin made a little ding) and the other two acted as if the trigger did not engage the sear. (trigger went all the way back without fireing) I'm thinking the reloads may not be seating well or whatever. To add....I shot about 60 factory loads 150 grain Ballistic tips without a failure.
    Any thought or suggestions.

Birdman
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have a BLR Lightning in .30-06 that has never misfired.

However, I know of another that had a couple problems with reloads. Turned out in that case that the person reloading was not completely resizing the cases when reloading. After that step was done with more care, he has never had any problems, either.

I would think that a minor adjustment to the trigger mechanizm might help. There are others here who might be more knowledgable than I and I am sure they will be along to assist.

Good luck. It is a fine rifle and by far my favorite.
  3. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Interesting.
    I've owned two BLRs in .308 that never missfired or otherwise acted up in any manor. One was "B" made and the other "J" made. I also handloaded extensively for both of them and used only a LEE Target Handloader for them. This only neck resizes so of course the cases were never used in any other weapons other than the one they were fired in. Like I said though, never a bit of a problem.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I suspect that the bolt is not fully seated on your gun using incorrectly sized reloads. I have never had a missfire on my BLR but I have had another problem.

For several years I shot neck sized only 243 reloads in my BLR. It eventually got so that the lever was hard to close. The cases had stretched so that they no longer fit the chamber correctly. New brass and correctly sizing the brass cured the problem.

The new thinking for sizing is that if the ammo is to go in only one gun, you should set up the resizing die so that it only moves the shoulder back 0.001 to 0.002 inches. This takes an RCBS cartridge gage that measures the distance from the case's base to the part of the shoulder that is the reference point for that particular caliber. It is a simple tool: drop in a representative fired case from the gun, screw on the top, read the graduations; Then set up sizing die so that it only moves the shoulder 0.001 to 0.002 inches. This is the accepted way to maximise the accuracy too as the case fits the chamber better and assures the bullet is centered in the barrel.

An alternative is to full length size them to the industry standard but that really sets the shoulder back a lot. Such a situation will over work the brass with every reload and you will wear out the brass a lot sooner. If the ammo is for two guns then this is your only choice. Factory loaded ammo of course is set up this way.

LDBennett
  5. BobMcG

LDB, Just found your answer on this page and have had similar experience with neck resizing for the BLR.

Do you think that maybe his rifle has a tight chamber? After all he did mentioned he was using once fired brass. I wouldn't think once fired brass would be a problem if only neck resized. :confused:
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

BobMcG:

The drill for once fired brass from another gun is to shoot it once with full length sizing. Then neck size it after that. If the brass came from another gun it has the shape of that guns chamber, not your gun's chamber. The whole concept of neck sizing is that you take fired brass from your gun and work the brass the minimum amount to be able to reload it. That insures that the brass is very close to the shape of your gun's chamber after reloading. If you take brass from another gun, just neck size it, it may be too long, keeping the bolt from full closing. If you start with factory ammo, shoot it, then neck size it, you are OK.

One aspect of reloading hasn't been mentioned yet: High primers. If this is a new to the reloader caliber perhaps his priming setup is not correct and he is getting high primers. Primers need to seat below the edge of the pocket by a couple of thousands. You can feel that with your fingers. If it is level or high the firing pin must first fully seat the primer before the primer will go off. Some of the time the energy needed to seat it is such that there is not enough energy left in the firing pin to acheive a hard enough hit to set the primer off.

If the BLR works perfect with factory ammo then the problem is somewhere in the reloading process, not in the BLR! We become aware of these problems by reading about them but nothing strikes home like having them happen to you. Believe me they have ALL happened to me, or at least most of them. I reload for over 20 different cartridges and have been reloading for myself for over 20 years. That was preceded by an introduction to reloading by friends some 20 years prior to that. I am aware of what can go wrong in reloading! I have seen a bunch of reloading mistakes, my own and those of others.

LDBennett
  7. BobMcG

I'm spot on with you on this. I alway's used only brass fired in a paticular weapon for that weapon and none other when neck resizing. I didn't realize birdman was using once fired brass from another rifle in his handloads.

I loaded myself all throughout the '70s and 80's, sold most of my equipment about '90 and have reinvested in the hobby again over this past winter. Most things came right back to me but I'll admit I'm still reacquainting myself to some of the finer points.