New Build Idea

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Airdale, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Airdale

Airdale Member

So after building one Savage rifle (almost complete) I've got the bug. The idea for a long range rifle for the wife has been floating around in my brain for a while.

The problem was what caliber? I didn't want to insult her with an enemic caliber and I don't want to punish her shoulder. I think I've found the solution, either 6.5x55 Swede (prefered) or 6.5 Creedmor, depending on whether I come up with a long action or short action donor. As I haven't fired either round so I need some input from you guys on this choice.

Details of the build: Savage S/S action (tuned and timed), stanless match varmint contour barrel (maybe with a brake), fancy laminated stock, good medium price scope.

This will be done piece by piece over time as deals are found.

Any suggestions will be appreciated
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I've never built a rifle, other than an AR-15. I have never considered building a bolt action, but I have heard good things about both calibers you mentioned. Both are supposed to be a high powered round but "mild" enough in the recoil. I have also heard the same thing about .243 caliber.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

AD. if youre interested I have a spare Shilen select match barrel in 6BR thats prefit for savage small shank action. Would make a sweet short action LR rifle for a small statured shooter.
  4. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Airdale I have a 6.5 Creedmore and love it and the accuracy is unreal. After 3 and soon to be 4 back surgeries the recoil is still not bad at all. I load for my friends 6.5 Swede and it is easy to load and not hard to get componets. Recoil and accuracy are really good to. My only problem in the past is Creedmore brass. I had problems with Hornady and found alot of bad brass had been sent to me. However, they did make it up. Just a pain to mess with. Good luck. BTW, 120 grain Hornady factory loads are fantastic.