new cal to load

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gun-nut, Nov 28, 2011.

1. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I have a close friend that is my mom and dads neighbor. Yes i use to hang at his house when i was a kid. But anyway to the point. He has a Kimber in the 38 super auto. I have been asked to load some for him. we did talk and he is very understanding that it takes time to work a good load. this is the first time for me on the 38 super auto. What do you suggest as a good starter point for the charge? and powder? we will be starting with Hornady .355-357 diam. 121-125 gr. FMJ-RN ENC. Hornady # 35577 as listed in the book. This is a new gun no shots fired yet. he has some ammo for it to do the break in. Factory loads.

I will be doing thiese on my single stage till i and he as well feel good about the load we work up. then i will let the LNL have its fun. I feel safer doing it on a single stage first.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

I NEVER reload for anyone else - can't afford the liability insurance - so I'd suggest showing the neighbor how to get started.
  3. rcairflr

rcairflr Active Member

+1. Save youself some grief.
  4. garydude

garydude Member

+2

If it's a new caliber that you really want to try to load then ask your friend if you can borrow his gun while you work up a load. That way you are only liable to him for the gun in the advent of a mishap.

Should you find a good load and your friend expresses interest, then have HIM use your equipment under your close instruction and have him learn our art. You may just get a new reloading buddy!
  5. murphy's law

murphy's law New Member

You really don't want to go down that road as others above have mentioned unless you want aggravation and maybe give your good friend the keys/title to your car.
  6. mikld

mikld Member

I agree. Borrrow his gun and develope a load. Since you already reload, what does your reloading manual have as far as .38 Super load data?

P.S. That comment wasn't meant to be a smart arse reply, I only use data from my published reloading manuals. I've found getting load data from a forum, from any "expert's" web site, or any "gun shop guru" to be risky, at best. I once saw a mistake in a recommendation for a load that was 6.0 grains of Unique over max. The post stayed on the forum for several hours before anyone caught it and corrected the data. It was there long enough for a complete newby to see, and since it was from a fella with a high post count, he could believe it, and may have tried it. Muy Malo! A KABOOM! for sure. So, even though I think I have a grasp on reloading/powder charges, I won't use data from anywhere 'cept published manuals.
  7. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

WE are going to do this together. They list blue dot in the book that i have used on other loads for other cals. But most of all the other powders i have not use thats why i am asking questions before WE go any farther
  8. garydude

garydude Member

Well that changes things! Do your ears feel adequately boxed by now?:p:p

As to your question, I would think blue dot would be best for hot loads as it is pretty slow burning powder for an auto-loader. You may do better with something in the middle of the spectrum, more like unique, power pistol or possibly 231/HP 38, if these are listed in your load manual as viable powders.
  9. X Ring

X Ring Member

Lyman recommends W231 for that bullet in 38 Super, starting load of 4.4g and potentially most accurate load of 5.5g Max.
  10. garydude

garydude Member

Gun-nut, I've been pondering your question a bit more, and I think I found the manual that you are referring to. If it's Hornady, then they too recommend power pistol. If you haven't tried it yet I would pick up a pound and give it a go. It meters like a dream and it will not have the temp sensitivity that blue dot can have. I use power pistol in 38, 357, 40, 44 and 45 calibers. It really shines in mid-range magnum and full house auto loads.

Please keep us updated on your progress. There's been very few threads on the 38 super, and it looks like a dandy cartridge to load for.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  11. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I will try that power pistol out. Right now i just wating for the bullets and dies to get to the gun store. Then i will start on it. We will be useing CCI primers he likes CCI primers. But so do i they are cheeper the rem or win and i personal have had no problems with them. I also think that they are just a bit hotter then the others. The manual i am useing is the 6th addition.
  12. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

well i hope to start this weekend sometime. then we will try them out. dont know when but will keep you posted on it. we agreed to start out at 6.2 gr. of power pistol. That should put us at about 1100 fps. then we will work up or down on the charge. Going to pull the old Lee powder scoops out. and have the beam scale ready too.
  13. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

If you're using a Hornady bullet it would seem to follow that Hornady's manual shows loads for that particular bullet & would be the correct manual to use. Using Bullets of the same weight but different manufacturer is fudging your components somewhat unless the other manual happens to show the exact bullet you're using. Pressures will vary somewhat by swapping brands.

The start load would be where you want to start:)
  14. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Blue Dot would be a better powder than you have been told. I use it for 9mm with 124 gr. JHP's. The case simply can't hold enough to cause over pressure (in 9mm), while velocities are right at the top for the caliber. Keep researching, and you will certainly find that Power Pistol runs significantly higher pressure than Blue Dot for the same velocity. As for the very fast powders like 231, I wouldn't even consider them, because there is the distinct chance of double charging. You can't fit enough of the CORRECT powder in the case to cause a double charge.
  15. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Well we got the first 50 rds. done. we used the power pistol first.went with the hornady 6th edition went with 6.3 gr. that should put us at 1100 fps. We will see how it goes after Christmass. We will try the blue dot as well as i do have that on hand.
  16. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I wouldn't load it for him. Offer him rental of your equipment if he brings a few brews over when he is done loading them up.