"New" California law!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LDBennett, Mar 1, 2006.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

In a review of the CA DOJ site on firearms I was surprised to discover that we have again been overcome by the gun banners that run our state. It seems that after Jan 1, 2006 no centerfire semi-auto pistol can be sold by a dealer (new or used) without a loaded chamber indicator. For 22 semi-auto pistols none can be sold new or used by a dealer unless they have a magazine safety that does not allow the cartridge in the chmaber to fire if the magazine is out of the gun.

Both requirements seem acceptable until you realize that not all centerfire pistols have loaded chamber indicators and certainly all 22's don't have magazine safeties. So all those current guns that don't have these features can instantly not be sold in California! Many manufacturer are going to be forced to write off California as a viable market for their products. Eventually they will all leave the California market place and new pistol dealer sales will stop. These pro-gun control idiots are eating away at handgun ownership in California by little steps rather than outright gun bans. THEY ARE WINNING!

LDBennett
  2. lead

lead Active Member

That's the way to do it, nickle and dime you death until you wake up one day and realize you lost it all. It's a sorry state of affairs(no pun intended).
  3. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

So, when do the people of Kalifornia finally decide they've had enough and kick the bastiges out?
  4. happygunner

happygunner New Member

This is the very reason on firearm Mfg.s I know of one Kimber that will not sell their new designs in Kalifornia. :mad: Hey I moved from golden Cal. in 1969 and I have never wanted to even visit that worthless overtax State again ;)
  5. HiPowerKid

HiPowerKid New Member

There's some small hope for Canada after their recent elections, but I'm not so sure there's the same hope for California. But we can dream, can't we? :D
  6. shooter4

shooter4 New Member

There are many really good people in CA, unfortunately, they are outnumbered by the low life, anti gun libs that live in the major highly populated areas, like some other states.

So, there is no way to just vote them out.
  7. candr44

candr44 New Member

California seems to be doing a good job at chipping away gun ownership rights. Do they need these laws because crime is so bad there or are they just paranoid about gun owners? Either way is a bad sign and I would live somewhere else. I read even blow guns are outlawed there. Whats next sling shots, bb guns, or boards with a nail in it.
    By the way what do they do with all that road tax money. The roads I drove on between San Francisco and Lake Tahoe were terrrible and more dangerous than a blow gun.
  8. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Yep, Gun ownership is alive, but not well, here in the Golden State. Outside of the SF Bay Area & the LA Basin, there are plenty of gunowners who have little to worry about. SF is trying to ban possession & ownership. There are so many libs in the Metropolitan areas, that they can control the vote. It SUCKS! By the time I retire, I'll have to move or be an outlaw.
  9. Hanover67

Hanover67 Member

I was amazed to find out about the Department of Justice's Handgun Safety Requirements, which ban the import into California of only a small number of existing pistols and revolvers. I'm in the market for a Smith & Wesson Model 1950 Target revolver. But, unless I can find one in California, I'm out of luck. There are some wonderful old guns (actually almost all of them are wonderful) I haven't had a chance to shoot or own and it looks like I never will. How did such a draconian law get passed (or is that a stupid question)? In the old days we didn't legislate stupidity!
  10. williamd

williamd New Member

Yep. Except you got the year wrong. Believe you have two years. Plus, there are to be challenges. Do not think it apllies to used/existing guns. Simply no way to do that ... so the state will probably get around to making all semis bought before the 2010 date (I think) illegal altogether! Semi-auto embossing is a challenge, revolvers are near impossible ... an embossing stamp in each cylinder??? So, I love wheel guns anyway.
  11. LDBennett

williamd:

I think the date right for the loaded chamber indicator and the mag safety (2010 for the laser etched firing pins and chambers ??) but guns already on the list with renew dates into the future are acceptable until they have to be renewed which I think is every two years(?). I read the law and it could be interpreted that if they are on the list now and get renewed they don't have to meet the new regulation. But it can also be interpreted that once they fall off, the new requirements are used for certification. Guess which way it will be interpretted?

Curios and Relics (C&R's) and some listed Target competition guns are exempt from safety certification and can be imported from other states through CA FFL dealers. C&R's are 50 years old and older and some specific guns that are on a federal list. You might be able to find S&W 1950 revolver that qualifies (??). It's not clear to me if the design date or the actual manufacture date qualifies a gun for 50 years old but I suspect the later.

CA in the past has grand fathered even Assualt Weapons so I doubt they will come to my house and take my semi-auto guns. They may require harder and more costly registration procedures.

CA is the state run by liberals from the urban areas of the state (San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego) The rural and semi-rural areas area are markedly conservative but there are just not enough conservatives in the state. Liberals, by nature, think everything should be controlled by the governement. The anti-gunners are well embedded into the liberal politics of California. So the rest of us who are not liberal suffer at the power hungry hands of the liberals, environmentalist and anti-gunners. It's a sad state of affairs for the "Golden State" today! It's not so Golden anymore: overpopulated, poor infrastructure, too many illegals, too liberal, too environmentally friendly, too many corrupt politicians and lawyers, and too many anti-gunners. We lose!

LDBennett
  12. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

What is it that Delta says on his posts, "Never Say Die" well the way to win is be proactive. I hate having to be reactive because that puts me in a hurried stance :mad:. Call your leglislators,yes I know it does not make them change their minds but it puts your opinion in front of them. Our local represenative recognizes my voice before I mention who I am. I will also say that in California you have an uphill fight, to much money in hollywierd. catfish
  13. LDBennett

catfish83861:

I'm convinced that they don't listen, and never will. They all march to their own tune and the tune the lobbist, who support their election, play. That includes Arnold. For someone who got elected to shake up the legislature, he has become just as bad as the Democratic majority legislature: corrupted by power, money and the fight to stay in office regardless of term limits (they are trying to change the term limits the voters forced on them too!). They set up a sweet deal between the Democrats and Republican incumbents and redistricted the state to assure all had easy re-elections. The district lines weave all over to assure their re-election.

But I'll bet its not much better in other states. Its just where we are today in the political world in the USA. But I don't have to like it. It extends all the way to city hall.

LDBennett
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

As 358 win always says..... STOCK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike
    gn
  15. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

I'm convinced the fight in California is more up a rock face than hill, but if that is the state you choose to reside in you must continue to fight. Our problem as a group is we haven't learned to fight like the opposition. On the left whether they be anti-gun, environmental, anti-meat or anti whatever liberals are they will always band together regardless of whether they are fighting "their" cause because to liberals they are all "their" cause. Hunters tend to look only at hunting issues,fisherman only at fishing you get the idea. Until we learn to band together we just will never have the numbers to defeat some of this ridiculous legislation they pass. It all boils down to a numbers game. Generally speaking it takes a good mugging to turn a liberal into a gun owner.:D
  16. williamd

williamd New Member

And, soon there will be only certified ranges that allow one to shoot. 1,000s - no 1,000,000s, of acres are becoming designated Wilderness Areas (thanx to B Boxer). No motorized vehicles, no fishing (even in the Mojave:D), no hunting, NO FIREARMS, .... Yes, millions of acres. Areas I walked into to hunt quail for decades are fenced and posted. Can't imagine what miles of chain link and barbed wire cost! Tax dollars at work. Sure hope they save the kangaroo rat!!!!!!!! ATVs and 4x4s have done some damage in areas that will never recover. And, I condemn those who brought us to this because they refuse (too damned lazy) to walk and, instead, road hunt where there are no roads! But to shut down huge areas to everything!?