New Cruffler!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Throwin Lead, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Throwin Lead

Throwin Lead New Member

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum and new as a licensed C&R holder.
    I sent for my C&R November 5th and received my license November 23 - 11 business days if I exclude the Veteran's Day hoilday. I don't know if that is record time or not but sure beats the heck out a 6 to 8 week wait!

I have a few questions using my C&R that I'm hoping the veteran crufflers can help with. Do you the majority of your purchases come from surplus dealers/wholesalers or from gunshows, or auctions and or local gun shops?

I read in other posts here that you can email a copy of your license to a vendor. Do you sign a copy, scan it to your pc and send off via email?

I planning to collect Milsurplus rifles and handguns. I have yet to pick one nationality of firearm but the Russian Mosin Nagant seems to be plentiful and affordable. I would like to find a Garand at great price but anything "Garand "these days means "at least a Grand!"

Where I'm getting confused purchasing from a wholesaler is the statement "add $(insert price here) for hand select". Who does the hand selection? The guy on the forklift? In other words do those wholesalers really have my best interest at heart as a collector for additional $$?

Although I'm sure it's a buyer beware senario a gunshow may be a good platform to buy from because you can see firsthand what it is you are buying?

I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area. There are several shows quarterly in the area. Now that I am offically a collector I'm thinking of heading to the Harrisburg area in December for what is labeled as a great military gunshow. Has anyone here attended the "Big Show" in Harrisburg? Is it worth my time and effort to drive 2 hours one way to explore the show?
  2. pawn

pawn New Member

Congratulations.

IMHO, wholealers offer the best value for C&R holders.

You can send an ink signed copy of your license through the mail, scan and email or fax... depending on the vendor.

Mosins are tough to beat for affordability both in terms of purchasing the rifle and also milsurp ammo.

I don't think you'll ever pinpoint exactly "who" does the hand selection. An employee of the vendor, usually they pick the best per 5 or 6 weapons readily available.

Do your homework if you plan to do business at a gunshow. There are plenty of opportunities for bargins but also plenty of folks who grossly overpay because they are unaware of fair market value and get caught up in the moment.

Just my opinion. Good luck and enjoy your C&R. :D
  3. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I always did my research and brought a shopping list to gun shows with me. However when i get there i usually fall in love with a rifle i know nothing about. So i bought The "Standard catalog of Military firearms" Its a Collectors price and reference guide to surplus guns. This book is fantastic. The history and things to look for on a gun is amazing. Its a thirty dollar book with tons of pics and info. I figured it would pay for itself at the first gunshow.