New Dan Wesson revolvers

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by lead, Feb 24, 2006.

1. lead

lead Active Member

Shooting Times has an article in the new issue about the new D.W. revolvers that CZ is putting out. They look great, but MSRP's are over a thousand bucks :eek: .
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have bought several Dan Wesson (DW) revolvers. I got mine in the 1980's and 1990's, two DW owners back. They are truly unique firearms. Firstly, they are massive and are able to stand very powerful cartridges loaded to maximum. That means that most are heavier than the competition. Next, they are accurate. They get that accuracy by the interchangeable barrel feature (Is that on the latest versions????). This feature allow various length barrel to be installed in minutes using the provided wrench (and provided feeler gage to set barrel to cylinder clearance) to remove and replace the nut at the muzzle. The barrel and its shroud are separate pieces and the barrel get streched between the end of the barrel and the frame threads putting the barrel under tension. The heavy shroud acts as support with the barrel only touching the frame and the muzzle end of the shroud. The triggers are a little heavy in pull weight but can easily made to be fine with a change to lighter springs. The internals are unique and different from say S&W. They found their place in silohuette matches where three foot heavy metal rams have to be knocked down at 200 yds: accurate, large caliber, heavy hit required.

It is a very positive thing for CZ to have taken over DW as it assures their very accurate revolvers a solid life for the future. Previous DW owners had trouble keeping afloat due to the low production rate of the guns and the lack of adequate popularity because of virtually no advertising. CZ may be able to elevate this company.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  3. lead

lead Active Member

The article I saw mentioned that a pistol pack would be available again. It didn't have a price listed for it yet. The gun they tested was a .445 Supermag, and they had a .357. Sounds like they will have the interchangeable barrel system. I always liked them too. I hope CZ keeps up the quality, but I sure hope I can afford one.
  4. Bill

Bill New Member

I sure enjoy my old D/W .44 Mag pistol pac. The interchangable barrels and ability to adjust head space make this one of my favorite revolvers. It's heavy but can handle loads way beyond the venerable Model 29 S/W.
    Bill
  5. Jerry Bransford

Jerry Bransford New Member

I still miss the .357 Maximum that DW intro'd a pistol for back in the mid-eighties. Turns out the Maximum round made such a flash that it was cutting the top strap so it was discontinued. DW made great pistols then, I'll have to check them out again as I haven't seen them in years. By the way, I still shoot .357 Maximum quite a bit in my TC Contender but fresh brass is pretty getting hard to find.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Jerry Bransford:

Midway currently has 100 count packages of 357 maximum brass available. They are currently out of the larger 500, 1000, and 2000 packages. I see it all the time through my wholesale source (sorry can't get anyone but me stuff from them). Remington is still making it regularly but I think it may be close to the time that we need to make a lifetime purchase to assure we have brass for this neat cartridge.

I have a SuperMag in 357 Maximum and a TC rifle barrel as well. I don't shoot either very often but I do shoot the SuperMag more since taking off the 8 inch barrel and putting a 4 incher on it. The weight of the long barrel was too much for off hand shooting. I have yet to shoot it inside but I'll bet it must make a pretty good flash. I can't see it outdoors while I'm shooting it but it must be there too.

LDBennett
  7. Jerry Bransford

Jerry Bransford New Member

Thank you LD, I'll look into Midway. I knew I could find it via mail order or online, it's just that my local shops don't carry it much any more.
  8. Tom

Tom Member

I used to have 2 DW revolvers, a 744 8”VH and a 357 Super Mag. I won a lot of silhouette matches with the .44, but the .357 was a disappointment. I finally sold it. I still have the .44. I just sent it to the factory and had them put a 6”V barrel on it. Very accurate and much more pleasant to play with now.
    I think CZ plans to introduce more DW revolvers if the current ones sell well. It could bring some competition back into the heavy weight division.