New Dillon 550b owner

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by flashman2002, Aug 19, 2012.

1. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

If your range allows, get some interactive targets and you'll have her hooked in no time. Spinners, plate steel, dueling trees, clays and pop cans all make for good fun.
  2. flashman2002

flashman2002 New Member

Right now we only know about indoor ranges. We are still trying to find out door that would do this kind of stuff. Since we are so new to shooting, we don't know all the different places to look into. I know she is hooked already lol, which is good. It is just going to be a matter of time for her to get used to the power of a 9mm, and subsequently higher calibers. Thanks for your info on the locking rings and different dies. I am more than likely going to buy RCBS or Dillon after I get proficient at reloading for my 9mm.
  3. flashman2002

flashman2002 New Member

My press was picked up today. Now I need to get a bench made, buy the scale, calipers, brass, bullets, powder, primers etc... then I can start reloading lol. Soon enough.
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Did you get the stand with it ?
    A roller handle ?
  5. flashman2002

flashman2002 New Member

That is going to be part of my additions. I bought it used and will just be getting into the hobby. So the stand, roller handle, tumbler, seperator is still going to be part of my purchases.
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Yeah, unless you are like Josh and Chris....RICH....
    it takes a while to put the components together,
    but also fun in the doing.
    Some peripherals are inexpensive, like digital/dial calipers,
    scales, wrenches, bullet pullers, etc......
    The stand and roller handle, not so cheap.....but I highly recommend
    both for your added and ongoing enjoyment.
    I use Starline brass [new], my projectiles are 99% Berry's MFG Plated
    bullets from either Berry's or Graf and Son, depending on stock/price
    at the time. Powder and primers I usually buy local.
  7. flashman2002

flashman2002 New Member

Thanks for the advice! I am lucky as I live about 30 miles from Powder Valley so I see myself going to them quite a bit once I start getting my bullet supplies together. As for the press, I got it mounted, albeit cheaply. It will work until I get the strong mount and a better bench. I just wish I had money to get all my other supplies.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Keep the LEE dies, better than ALL others IMO. And all the Dillon press is missing is a nice coat of candy apple red paint. :thumbsup:
  9. flashman2002

flashman2002 New Member

Candy apple red huh? I will keep that in mind! Thanks for your opinion on the Lee dies. I am keeping them for now, now sense buying new 9mm dies if I don't have to. Just depends on the future calibers if I stay with them or get someone else. We will see what happens.
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I use mostly Lee dies in my RL550B, the Lee dies work as well as any of the other ones, I do not own any of the Dillon dies. The only problem you will have with the Lee dies (if you want to call it a problem) is that I find that you have to screw the dies down pretty deep into the toolhead. I see pictures of the Dillon dies that look like they are not that deep, they might even be a lot longer than Lee dies.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I know RCBS dies are way longer than Lee.
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have used just about everybody's dies and I find the LEE dies inferior. Yes, they work but...

They use an O-ring to hold them in the press rather than a real lock nut with an allen to tighten the lock nut to the dies body. If you remove them from the press often the O-ring will not hold the lock nut at its setting and you'll have to go through the adjustment again.

The seating adjuster is not locked down but again is held in place by an O-ring. The threads for that seating adjuster are so loosely made that you can rock the adjuster in the die which is not good for precision repeatable bullet seating.

I have over thirty (30) sets of dies of various ages and from various manufacturers, some up to 25+ years old. The only dies that have rusted were the LEE dies.

When you compare the internal finish of the sizing dies (the part that touches the case wall) you will find the machining there rather crude com-pared to almost any other die manufacturer's dies.

The LEE dies that use a collet (Neck Size Only and Factory Crimp Die) do not use the correct materials and the similar metals used in the die body and the collet gall together under use.

Is there a difference? Yes, but LEE dies work well enough and are certainly cheap. They are the Harbor Freight tools of reloading. You get to choose whatever you want to use. I choose not to use most LEE products because they all suffer the same set of problems: made of the wrong materials, and made for cheap. I will admit to using the LEE FCD for rifle cartridges because of the design but I occasionally have to "fix" them.

OK, the can of worms is now open! Remember we all get to have opinions and mine are based on MY experiences and MY preferences. You are entitled to yours. I present mine here for consideration, not to argue the point. You choose for yourself. And I care not what you choose.

LDBennett
  13. flashman2002

flashman2002 New Member

Understood. I will use these until I decide I need better or they suit me. I really appreciate all the feedback and welcome how nice everyone is. Quite a change from tech forums haha. I am happy that my wife saw the press mounted today and she said it looks cool and fun. Might be some quality time putting together our arsenal for the range.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Take it slow and easy and double check those powder drops visually
  15. flashman2002

flashman2002 New Member

That is certainly one thing that I have read and will take to heart. Thanks!