New duds for an old soldier

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1 Eyed Jack, Dec 6, 2011.

1. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Been trying to keep myself busy in between looking for a job and dealing with some family medical issues, so I started 2 new projects,

First I am making new grips for my 1944 RR 1911, I had some spalted maple and some black walnut in the knife handle supply box, I chose the black walnut, it seemed to look better up against the parkerizing, I have one scale done except for the final finish/stain, or whatever I decide to do with it, the 2nd scale is about 50% done,

2nd project is a caping/small game knife, and leather sheath, I'm using WA state blacktail horn/shed my buddy sent to me for the handle, as the knife is for him, (he also sent me the maple and black walnut a couple of yrs ago), right now I just took the cut/drilled/prepped horn out of a peroxide bath, so it will be drying for a few days, trying to decide to leave it white, or burn it and polish the bumps/ridges back to white with compound and the buffing wheel, I'm leaning towards burning/buffing, it always looks nice,

I'll post some pics when I get a little more time, probably be MIA for a couple of days, taking my wife to the hospital this afternoon for a late afternoon surgery, and she will be in the hospital at least 2 days, I'll be back on the projects little by little as she recovers, hopefully quickly, at home,
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

Good luck Jack, I'll send one up for you.