New enfield,mag issuue....

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by polishshooter, Oct 24, 2006.

1. There's quite a lot of '06 milsurp ammo on the market right now too, Southern, often even cheaper than the .303 stuff. I bought some Korean made '06 recently very cheaply, cheaper even than the .303 milsurp I have and better ammo to boot. I reload for the '06 as well, so ammo doesn't cost me too much. I tend to go through a LOT of it. :D
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

One of these days I guess I am gonna have to start reloading exspecially when ammo is steadaly going up
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I still haven't found any milsurp .303 at any shops that usually have them, I guess I'll have to go on line.

But AIM has Igman reloadables in 150 and 180 gr SPs for like $8.95/20, I may run over and pick up a few boxes this week....
  4. Polish, you might consider getting yourself a set of dies and reloading for the .303. I think it's well worth the effort. I've encountered much the same problem you have with finding decent milsurp .303. You see it occassionally, but not often any more. I bought a set of Lee dies for the caliber but I have not yet ordered up slugs. I bought 100 rounds of Wolf ammo, so I have a supply of good brass.
  5. polishshooter

One of the reasons I wanted a .303 is the7.62x54 is supposed to be more accurate with .311 bullets, than with .308....so I could use the same .311 bullets in the Mosins and the Enfield....however while I bought the dies for the Russian, I still haven't bought any bullets yet to start reloading....next show i intend to pick up a sete of .303 Lee dies too...
  6. southernshooter

7. polishshooter

Thanks Shooter, but I think I might wait for the next show...I know I've seen some .303 milsurp at the show before at one of the big ammo dealers, and it's usually around the same price as on-line, or at best a couple bucks more, but no shipping....

But I bookmarked that page just in case...that's what I want.

What's FUNNY is that once when picking up a gun at SOG, I picked up some empty ammo crates they give away all the time, and got two .303 ammo crates from WWII, that are kind of neat, olive drab painted wood with the metal inserts, and rope handles...and both are stamped on the outside in several places in yellow "NOT TO BE USED IN SYNCHRONIZED GUNS AFTER 1946!" :p

I always wondered, what planes were they still FLYING in '46 that had synchronized .303s???? Swordfishes????:p :p

I cleaned my garage this weekend and found them both...:p
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  8. southernshooter

I want one of the .303 Machine Guns
  9. NickSS

NickSS New Member

I reload for about 100 different cartridges so I know what I am talking about when I say that loading rifle ammo is easy and much cheaper than buying ammo. The break even point is about $.18 per shot for the 303, 30-06 and 7.62X54R. As I can buy surplus 7.62X54R cheaper than I can buy bullets I shoot a lot of that stuff in my Nagants but for cartridges like the 7.5X55 Swiss there is not contest it is much cheaper to reload.
  10. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hell Polish.....anybody who's ever played with British made stuff (I've played with British cars for nearly 50 years) can tell you that the most valuable tool in their tool chest is a sledge hammer! :D :D :D
  11. Preferably an 8-pound sledge, X, and a "Jaws of Life" to sort of move things around. :eek: :D

British cars eh? Reminds me of a little verse I read somewhere once:

I once knew a guy who had an Austin . . .
    There was room for his a$$, and a gallon of gas,
    But his n*ts hung off and he lost 'em. :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  12. southernshooter

13. polishshooter

X, you had to take a sledge to the Mini-Cooper????:confused:

Where EXACTLY did you have to hit it???

It kind of reminds me when I raced, one day I actually had the Pinto dialed in fairly well, and had some time between the hot lap sessions, and decided to "adjust" my steering column over a little, there were adjustment slots built in the dash bracket that the column hung on, and the oversize wheel bearly touched my left leg with my new seat in place, so I'm in the car, and the column won't move when I loosened the bolts holding it to the bracket, so I had my wife get the 20 oz ballpeen and I start whacking away at it to free it up and move it over a touch.....

....and I look up and there's two of my fellow drivers leaning in my car on the other side with funny looks on their face...so I stop and got a puzzled..."What are you doing?????;) :confused: )

I said, "Oh just making a minor adjustment to the handling...":p :p :p

It got around the pits REAL fast, became a standing joke, and even made it to the end of the year banquet....

"Most drivers make "minor adjustments" with wedge and stagger, Mike just takes a sledgehammer to the steering wheel.....":D :D :D
  14. Hmmmm, I take it that same general rule applies to working on your Mosin Nagants as well, Polish? :D Of course, with a fine Mauser one only needs a screwdriver to assemble and disassemble them. ;)