New found knives

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by buckeye14, Mar 22, 2010.

1. buckeye14

buckeye14 New Member

I found these 2 knives in an old junk drawer. I forgot I had them. Thought I would share these with you. They seem like nice little knives. The hunting knife is a Puma (Germany) and the Schrade (USA) is an Old Timer. I can't remember ever using them. What do you think? Thanks John
    [​IMG]
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I had that Puma until one of my sons moved out. I have 3 of those Old Timer Lil' Fingers, counting the one #3 has and the one daughter has. Great knives, both.

Pops
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2010
  3. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    They are both nice looking knives,aren't you glad you found them.
  4. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I think you found a couple of nice knives you had stashed away. :)
  5. stede

stede Member

Puma is a fave of mine... amazing wot you can find when digging around!
  6. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Hi John I have the very same schrade old timer. I think I got it 10-15 years ago, problem is I can not keep it sharp. Used every stone, steel and Diamond tool I could find. Even had 3 butchers try, and I still cant keep an edge on it. I realy like this knife, and it fells good in my hands when there working.
  7. buckeye14

buckeye14 New Member

Thanks guys, as soon as my son saw them he wanted them. At least there staying in the family. John
  8. buckeye14

buckeye14 New Member

Hi again guys, I have a question. Is there anything I should do to the sheathes to keep them in good condition? They seem just a little dry. John
  9. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

C'mon, fess up! You really just bought them yesterday and to get them past the wife..made up the just found story.

I have "just found" knives, golf clubs, bourbon and guns all over the place.:D
  10. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Rub some mink oil into them. You might want to do it a couple times to soften up the dried leather.
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Very sparingly with the oil, though. It is better to use just a fingerwet on it, then put it up for a few days and repeat. I've seen more sheaths and holster ruined by too much oil than too little. Don't use any waxes on knife sheaths or holsters. Drop into your local shoe repair shop or leather smith and ask questions. The very best place to get advice on that is the local leather shop which builds motorcycle clothing. If you can keep leather alive riding on a motorcycle, you can keep it alive anywhere.

Pops
  12. red14

red14 Active Member

I use vaseline on old and dry baseball gloves.
  13. patrol

patrol New Member

The Schrade Old Timer is the exact model knife of my first knife my father bought for me when I was a kid. I skinned many squirrels with that thing.
  14. Artemus

Artemus New Member

My old Sharpfinger holds a terrific edge and is easy to sharpen.It also works well in field dressing deer.