New Grips for my Kimber THANKS WOODNUT!

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by USMCSpeedy, May 8, 2010.

1. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

For those of you that have followed Woodnut's threads on 1911 grips and admired his work, I would like to thank him for the EXCELLENT job he did on the custom grips for my Kimber. He is definitly a master of his craft. From the time I first contacted him to having the grips in my mailbox was only 2 1/2 weeks. More than 2 dozen emails were sent back an forth between us as he kept me posted on his progress and asked questions to make sure I got exactly what I wanted. If you are looking for something custom for your 1911 he is "THE MAN". The wood is Ceylon Ebony and is such a dark wood it was very tough to photograph. (My pics here don't even come close to doing his work justice.) It has a half smooth, half hand checkered design with a diamond around the lower screw with an inlaid USMC medallion. THANKS AGAIN WOODNUT!

Attached Files:

2. navis128

navis128 New Member

Those are nice!

After I saw his work...I've just been chomping at the bit.
  3. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

If you decide to have him do a pair you will NOT regret it.
  4. navis128

navis128 New Member

How do they feel compared to what you had on it or is there a difference at all?
  5. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I just had the stock Kimber Custom II grips before. They were a fully checkered pattern. These are slightly smoother but thickness, etc. is exactly the same.
  6. navis128

navis128 New Member

Yeah, I have a Pro CDP II with those rosewood grips, but man they sure can tear up my hands pretty quick.

I like purple heart, but not sure how that would look. I really like myrtle wood too. I need some thing a little easier on my hands.
  7. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

It's your 1911. Customize as you see fit. As long as you liike it, thats all that matters. Purple Heart would be cool. I kind of like the checkered texture, his Badlands texture looks as if it would have a firm grip without being to tough on your hands though.
  8. navis128

navis128 New Member

Isn't Badlands the one he just had us vote on? It did look pretty er...utilitarian. I mean has a purpose and looks nice. If all it has is looks...usually it's not worth anything.
  9. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Yep. I think it was. I couldn't say as far as feel but it LOOKS like it would provide a good grip without the bite.
  10. techoca

techoca New Member

USMCSpeedy,
    the new grips are awesome.:D
    Beautiful work woodnut.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Those are some good looking grips.

I want some new grips for my new Rock Island 9 mm, I'm thinking of something that looks like the "red 9" grips on the broomhandle mauser!
  12. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

I would like to thank each and everyone for the comments on the grips.

I am going to take this opportunity to tell a little bit of how I work on a custom set of grips.
    First we always discuss the wood, I try to find out what the customer is looking for. In this case, he wanted something black. So that meant Ebony. I ordered the finest Ebony I could find. Then came the designing of the grips. He wanted checkering and a USMC medallion. I am not a professional at graphics, but I do well enough to show my customer a drawing of the custom work I think he has in mind. I send the drawing to him via email, he then tells me any changes that need to be made. Then I make the changes and return, this is done until we get the exact look the customer wants. To me this is the only way to do it. From conversation, it is hard to get a mental picture of exactly what is wanted. I might add that when someone wants custom grips they usually have a mental picture of what they want, and when spending money for custom grips, you don't want any surprises. By doing it this way he knows from the start what the grips will look like. Speedy and I had several emails before we got together on the style grips he wanted. This is the final drawing I sent to him for approval, with the understanding that the checkering would not be this light. I only made it light in order for him to see the design.

USMCSpeedy, Thank you so much for posting this thread, and I am very happy that you like your new custom grips.
    Carl aka Woodnut

Attached Files:

13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Another fine example carl. I hope you train a good apprentice before you decide to 'retire' you are a valuable accessory to any 1911 owner;) fine work my friend.
  14. Woodnut

JLA:
    Thanks my friend for the very nice compliment. It is the appreciation of your work by others that makes it worthwhile.

This is a one man show, so I won’t be hiring an apprentice, but I would love to train someone. I have helped Hotsights along the way and soon you will be seeing his work come to the top. I hope I can persuade him to post his first work, and his recent work to show the progress he has made. I spoke with him the other day and he is about ready to start posting his work and selling some grips. It is a slow process to learn. It doesn't seem like a big job to build these grips, but until you try it yourself, no one understands how many steps there is to making them. It is not something easy to teach by phone or typing. Grip making is something that you have to try for yourself and through trial an error the end result will come if the patience is there. The thing is, you can’t give up. I was taught as a child by my dad that the word ( “can’t” ) could not be in my vocabulary. He always told me that if someone else can do a whole lot of it, you can do a little of it, and the best man at his profession had to start somewhere. Therefore his first work may have looked even worse than yours, but patience and persistence will pay off in the end, so never give up until the end result is what you are looking for.

My offer still stands. Anyone interested in building custom grips, I am here to help and will tell you everything I know, and will do the best I can to start you on the right track with the tools you have in your own work area.

Cheers.
    Carl
  15. navis128

navis128 New Member

Woodnut - It must be awfully worthwhile then. I don't think I have ever seen any, either here or on your site, that I have not thought were beautiful...I understand the skill and craftsmanship and can appreciate it for the art it is.

Thanks for sharing them

M>
  16. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

wow nice job on the grips,something i've tried to do myself many times but don't have the talent.
  17. Woodnut

I know how hard it is to do this without guidance. If you have tried in the past, don't call it a failure, call it the first step in learning. I know that you had to learn what not to do, so that part is out of the way. Now let's start over and let me help you. I do not want this to be something else that is lost in the computer age, like so many other things that used to be hand made. I am always here and you are more than welcome to call anytime 228 255 0822 or email me at cwgrips@gmail.com. If you do not have free long distance, send me your number and I will call you, because I know it will be a fairly long conversation. I have a few things I can send you to get you on the right track. So let's build some grips.
    Carl
  18. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Hello,

I'm a follower and student of Sir. Carl Wallace (All Artist Deserve Respect) and if this will load, you will see that I'm learning slowly what Carl has to share. The key is, he is willing to teach if, you are willing to learn. Thank you Carl and Sir. Brian Powel, you both rank higher than at the top of all my scales that rate professionals. Carl, your kind heart and love of working with the natural beauty of wood by hand matches my dedication to learn how to be proud, not satisfied, but proud of my work and I'm improving, thanks to you. The left grips are Canarywood, the right grips are Dymondwood.

Attached Files:

19. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

USMCSpeedy,

I'm pretty jealous of those grips. Thank you for sharing. It's great to see Craftsmanship like that.

Semper Fi
  20. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

WOW! carl is obviously a fantastic teacher... Fine work hotsights, keep it up:)