New Grips!

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

TYRVR
    (3/22/01 9:31:44 pm)
    Reply New Grips!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I visited A Gun Store today, run by two Friends/Shooting adversaries, and was insulted, when one of them asked when I was to get rid of My old Commander! My Outrage was Monumental! to pacify Me, and stop Me from kicking over displays, He gave Me A new set of Hogue rubber grips, with the palm swells, I told Him I did not think I would like them, but seeing as how, they were free, ....I took them, and just installed them on the afore mentioned Commander, and I like them, the palm swell feels good! have to shoot them to really judge, but they seem to lock into My hand, anyone ever used them?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/22/01 10:02:27 pm)
    Reply Re: New Grips!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ty,

Yes, I have them on my MKIV SER. 70 Govt. Model and
    they are fantastic and I even put them on my U.S. Prop.
    Ithaca 1911-A1 when I noticed in the 70's that the
    military took off the plastic grips and put the rubber on.

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

TYRVR
    (3/22/01 10:49:26 pm)
    Hey TAC! word of caution, those old original hard plastic grips? put them on some kind of board with screws thru the screw holes, as those things will shrink! and not go back on Your pistol unless boiled, I have seen this happen to older grips,

shooter45 us
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (3/23/01 12:14:31 am)
    Tye , I have a set of those same grips. I like them, but switch them out from time to time. I really like checkered wood better.

TYRVR
    (3/23/01 7:37:23 am)
    I know what You mean about wood, I salivate over the Rosewood and checkered variants of Walnut, that sell today, but My weapons get abused in everyday use, and nice wooden grips quickly become splinters, some day when I get old and Calm, and set around like all My Friends, maybe I can get A nice set, and be happy knowing they are not about to become junk,

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/23/01 7:20:33 pm)
    Thanks for the info Ty!

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Zigzag2
    (3/25/01 7:22:03 am)
    Oh Yes...a ^5 to the feel of checked grips. I just put a pair of double diamond grips on my compact. Fits my hand like a glove.

Teeeem
    (3/25/01 3:20:05 pm)
    I have a great set of Mcormick rosewood grips for my stainless Kimber, and, well, it just looks too darn nice to put those bland rubber factory panels back on- even if it is a carry gun. When they turn to splinters i suppose i'll just buy a new set. They're holding up well, for now...

Goose3201
    (5/22/01 4:33:05 pm)
    Have any of you seen/used the slimline/Slim-Tech grips from AFS Tech in AZ(let me know if you would like the address). They are beautiful and incredibly comfortable. Also, there is a guy in AZ(possibly the owner of AFS) that can have them laser-engraved with any logo you would like and its not too expensive($150 for setup/$55 per set of engraved grips-the grips are included).

I also recently purchase a set of slimline grips in Sterling Silver-they are incredible and very functional/durable. The women's name who does the silver slimlines is Kim Klass of Kim Klass Designs(www.kimklassdesign.com). She is very cool, great to work with, and can do just about anything you want.

Goose

Edited by: Tac401 at: 5/23/01 12:28:36 pm

Xracer
    (5/22/01 9:09:24 pm)
    Thanks for the info Goose.......and welcome aboard.

TallTLynn
    (5/22/01 9:19:55 pm)
    Greetings Goose3021 and thank you for the information.

www.kimklassdesign.com

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/22/01 11:01:17 pm)
    Good info Goose. Welcome to the board and post often.
  2. hotsights

hotsights New Member

Hi,

Came by to read up on these new grips. I visited the Kim Glass site and the lady is outstanding! The grips I saw were very, artistic and showed years of experience. On one gun, she even had little, like sun ray lines around the counter holes. very detailed work. I sure liked them, but I'm a wood guy, just like the feel of raw, natural wood turned into grips by hand, no CNC. This site is full of really, cool infomation and so far, all the members I've met fit the same cool grove, Thanks.