New gun today

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by NGIB, Apr 30, 2011.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I had been thinking about getting a smallish 9mm for a while and I spotted a good deal at a local gun shop today. It was a lightly used S&W M&P9c and it came with 4 mags. The price was right so I took this one home. Actually, I took it about 2 miles to the indoor range in Savannah to try it out. I broke it down & checked to see it was clean and ready to go then I got a lane and gave it a try. I also had my German-made Sig P220 with me as well.

While this isn't a large gun, I was able to get a nice comfortable grip and it shot very well. Older M&Ps had crunchy triggers but it seems that S&W made improvements and they are pretty good now. I had no problems keeping the shots in a softball sized group firing quite rapidly at 25 feet. I like the large 5 dot targets and I generally put a round into each dot and fire as fast as I settle the sight picture on the next dot. Having 12+1 available in this compact package makes for a potent, easy to carry piece for sure.

As for the Sig P220, what can I say other than it shoots like a freaking laser. The Sig actually does HD duty in my study near my computer and the new M&P is going into the carry rotation and it'll be used as the car console gun. Pix of each gun...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Nice little MP and a very sweet 220, mine is a two-tone version. I put Hogue grips on mine and made it even sweeter to handle.

How's Savannah these days? It's been awhile since I've been there; I was stationed in SC and had a gf in Savannah, so I was down there quite abit in '93 - '96. Like the city for the most part, great low-country food there!
  3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Lots of tourists and like most larger cities the political culture is a bit "leftish". I live in Hinesville which is about 35 miles SW but my buddy manages a range in Savannah so I try to head up that way often. The food is still really good!
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

One of the guys from my squadron was from Hinesville; we'd hang out down there with the local MC's and raise hell when we could. His folks had a place on a little waterway; those were some of the best oysters I ever ate. His father was a F-4 driver, we were both F-18 mechanics; I got along with his folks well and they treated me like another son. Been a few years since I've heard from them, kinda lost touch after my divorce and all.

Hope you're enjoyin your day and eat up some of that incredible LC fare for me!
  5. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I think Smith makes a better looking poly than many others, nice buy. I might be picking up a 220 compact pretty soon. My buddy's shop has one for a song and I trying to fight the urge to buy my 5th gun of the year. I am averaging one a month.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  6. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

I'm a diehard 1911 guy, but damned if I havent had the urge to get myself a 220 for YEARS and YEARS. I pretty much hear all good stuff about em, and love the way they look and fit. Hmmmmm............Dear Santa.........