New Gun

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Cgull, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Cgull

Cgull New Member

I wanting to buy a 17 hmr or a 22 mag, I hear of ballistic tipped 22mag rounds. Would a 22 mag with these rounds be as effective as the 17hmr? I have a nice marlin 880 ss 22, I wonder if I could get a replacement barrel instead of buying a new gun?

"In the first place we should insist that the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equity with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming an American and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." Theodore Roosevelt 1919.
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

For doing what, i must ask?

mike
    gn
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I'd take the 22mag over the HMR anyday. I'd spend the money on a new Barel. As far as the ballistic tipped rounds, I have no experience wit them.
  4. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Effective at what?

And NO changing the barrel is a bad idea...think about that for a few minutes.

What else whould you need to do besides change the barrel?

Would the magazine work?

How about the bolt....would it go back far enough to chamber and eject a 22 mag?

And try a dividing line above that paragraph of a signature. No, nevermind, that isn't actually a signature since it was included when I quoted your post.:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  5. Cgull

Cgull New Member

I should of asked if the 22 mag ballistic tip would shoot as flat as the 17 hmr
  6. GunHugger

No, the 22mag is much heavier than the 17HMR.

[​IMG]
  7. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

GH, not sure of those stats for the .22mag, both my 20 and 24 inch barrels deliver around 2400fps with the Remington Premier 33. These would be the third generation ammuntion.

The .22 mag hits harder. I think the best route is the .17HMR or .22mag and switch back and forth between the two. Since they share the parent case.

Also the .17HMR have moved up the fps too, fired from my other two, they run just over 2600fps. My only complaint about the .17HMR is it seems to pass through most of what my use is......crows
  8. GunHugger

It's just an example...not posted as an accurate chart to satisfy all. The question was does the "22 mag ballistic tip would shoot as flat as the 17 hmr?".

As always the correct answer is to own at least one of each...22, 22mag, 17M2 and a 17HMR. Works for me. :D I have more than one of each.
  9. Martys1

Martys1 New Member

I would take the magnum any day, the HMR is a fantastic hard hitting little slug but in the end of the day forget about the velocity the projectile is small and far more subject to windage, .22 mag is available in ballistic tip but the price is obviously more, I wont quote as im in New Zealand and our dollar doesn't equate, i have fantastic results with my mag over 75 meters shooting small game with just good old fashioned winchester hollow point
  10. GunHugger

Do you own a 17HMR?

Have you shot a 17HMR and 22mag on the same windy day?

I have and haven't found that the 17HMR is effected by the wind any more the the 22mag. They are both effected by a cross wind at about the same rate from what I find when shooting them both.

The 17HMR is smaller and faster...so the wind actually has less time to effect it's flight.

I find the 17HMR to be more accurate, while the 22mag has a bit more knock down power because of it's weight being heavier. I like them both...maybe the 17HMR just a bit more.
  11. Martys1

Martys1 New Member

Yeah I do, actually knocked over a red stag when i first got it but in the end I prefer my Anshultz Magnum maybe its just personell preference but i feel it outpreforms the HMR.