New guy, long thread, cliff's notes at end

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JQualls90, Aug 22, 2011.

1. JQualls90

JQualls90 New Member

Hey all, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I didn't see anywhere else to put it.
    My name is Jimmy, and I stumbled upon this forum whilst looking for info on my Marlin model 60 (squirrel on stock). I read through a couple threads and liked what I saw.
    A bit of background on me first: I'm stationed in Norfolk, in the US Navy as a GSM; Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical). I work on jet engines used for electrical and main propulsion of ships. Not a bad line of work, and I'm very proud to be a Navy engineer, seems like we get the most respect, next to SpecWar of course, from other sailors.

My first firearm was the 60 mentioned above. I got it from my dad for x-mas when I was 10. That thing's older than I am! (I'm 21) But I do need to go home on leave and get it fixed, as it won't eject spent casings, and it double feeds :( My next was a Remington 870 Express Magnum 12ga. Got that on x-mas when I was 14 (hmm, seems to be a pattern there). My only complaint with the 870 is the finish, as the metal rusts wherever the oils from the skin touch it. I plan on getting a coating of some sort, maybe some camo-form or something. Both are fun to shoot and the .22 is as accurate as they come.

I am currently looking for a bolt action rifle, and leaning towards the
    Marlin XL7, Winchester 70, or Remington 700, in order of preference. That will be a later purchase though. Unless someone wants to take over payments on an '04 mustang gt w/ some performance mods and a $1500 racing seat, harness, and bar interior? lol

Cliff's Notes: aged 21; own Marlin model 60, Rem 870 mag; in the Navy; want a centerfire bolt action rifle.
  2. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Welcome to the site, don't be afraid to ask questions. don't forget about the savage axis/edge series of rifles, they're designed to be an entry level rifle.
  3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

If you weren't set on a bolt action, I'd make you a deal on a semi .30-06.
  4. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! good to see another Navy guy here! post pic of you guns, we all are addicted to them! some one will be along shortly to post a better reply than I can. for a bolt action you looking for a newer rifle or would a older style military type be something you would be interested in?
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day and welcome to the forum !!
  6. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

hello and welcome! i'm assuming by Norfolk you mean Virginia? i'm up in Yorktown, maybe someday we'll be shooting buddies:)
  7. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

I might be interested in something like this. Is it listed on the buy/sell/trade section? If not pm me.
  8. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

Welcome, and I'm a big fan of the Remington 700.
  9. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

Welcome
    On the bolt actions the Remington 700 is great. Don't overlook the Savages though. They make one of the most accurate out of the box rifles available
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the Forum, Jimmy. There is a wealth of information to be found here.

Thanks for your service, from an old Army retiree.
  11. okiefired

okiefired New Member

Welcome and thanks for your service. Of the three bolts you listed the Marlin would be waaay down on my list. Remmy, Win, Savage, FN, Tikka, Sako just depends on what you want to spend. After market is much more available for the Remmy but Savage and Win are pretty good there too. Gunsmiths are probably more familiar with the remmy 700than any other rifle on the planet so thier easy to get worked on and accurized. Good luck.

okie
  12. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

13. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

14. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

welcome aboard! & THANK YOU for your service! :)
  15. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

hey welcome to the forum. my father owns the marlin model 60 as well. good rifle.