New guy, long thread, cliff's notes at end

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JQualls90, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Rastminikov

Rastminikov Former Guest

You'd be getting a deal letting someone take over payments though since it's worth ~$2k less than the outstanding loan... (Mods don't increase value, typically) Just FYI.
  2. JLA

JLA Moderator

Good man. Ive always wanted a stang, but the wife wont let me have 1. I got enough speeding tickets in a 4 banger fiero she says.. :rolleyes:

I am another fan od savage rifles. They are great out of the box and easy to customize and build. I did a savage 11 .308 (7.62X51) earlier this year. it turned out great and is a perfect example of what a plain ol off the shelf savage can be with a little determination and some fairly inexpensive hand tools.

This one started life as an accustocked savage mod. 11 in .308. I rebarreled it with a heavy varmint barrel and had the stock dipped by a buddy of mine, while I was waiting on the barrel to arrive I trued the action and lapped the lugs for 100% contact. I rebarreled with a 26" varmint contour CBI in .308 10 twist. and I shoot 175 gr SMKs exclusively. Its a solid 1/4 MOA gun. The rifle was a 600 rifle NIB and I put another 500 or so including the barrel and tooling to make it look and shoot like it does now.

Pics before and after...

Attached Files:

3. okiefired

okiefired New Member

Brother, I'm a short timer here myself and it seems most folks here are willing to help you in any way they can as am I but......... the fact you've never heard of Sako or Tikka and (even being in the military) you dont realize that the 7.62X51 and the .308 are for all intense and purposes the same cartrage (7.62X51 is the NATO version of .308 just like 5.56X45 is the NATO version of the .223) means you havn't done much research if any. I recommend you spend a little more time on the net and come back after you've gained some knowlege and narrowed your chioces a bit. Hell, there's a simi trailer load of 308 chambered bolt guns to chose from alone, it can be a tough chioce and you need to know the facts so you can chose the right one for you. I'm sure not trying to be an A hole here but you're gonna get a lot of biased opinions by throwing that question out on a forum like this, we all have our favorites ;) . Good luck with it sailor and I'm glad to help if I can.

okie
  4. Chinook

Chinook New Member

My dad shoots a Savage 111 LRH chambered in .300 Win Mag. He absolutely loves it! I have not squeeezed off enough rounds to compare it to my 700 chambered in 30-06. Its my deer gun, and it works like a champion! I love the 700, but Im sure Id love a new Savage too. Specially after lookin at the current, retail pricing!(for entry level rifles anyways!) Great looking rifles, with great service to boot! They have been nothin but helpful with my little Model 93 Classic!
  5. JQualls90

JQualls90 New Member

I understand where you come from, as well as the lack of emotion behind the words, so please know, I mean no disrepect or bad attitude towards any of y'all in my words; but what little time I ahve put into research, I haven't found much of what I'm looking for, or the navy's computers won't load the pages. I am aware that the .308 is essentially the same round as a 7.62, as well as the fact that a 5.56 has a longer "lead", as well as the fact that .223 ammo can be used less accurately in a 5.56, but 5.56 in .223 isn't reccomended due to the difference in barrel pressure upon firing. I just never had much time for net research, growing up, due to feeding cows and doing fencework when I wasn't at school or work.

I was never really interested in shooting until recently when I shot one of my friend's 700's. The only shooting I have ever really done was clays with my 870 and some targets with the Marlin. And then I was only about 14-17, so none of that really mattered to me, I figure this is as good a place as any to start learning more. I am asking these questions, but let it be known: I am also using the search bar! I know, a shock right? lol, I am on other forums for my Dodge addiction, as well as the Mustang, and the same problem seems to happen there. The main difference being I know more about old Rams, and I mostly read about stang stuff. There also happens to be s fairly large stack of 7.62x51 ammo that I have free access to :D

I also know that perf. parts decrease the value of a vehicle. Unless of course you buy it anywhere near a military installation!
  6. JQualls90

JQualls90 New Member

Nice rifles too JLA, was the Savage hydroimaged? (water transfer printing)
  7. medalguy

medalguy Member

Welcome and thank you for your service to our country. I'm AF 1964-1987.

For my .02, look at the Savage or a pre-64 Model 70 in .308. Excellent all-around caliber unless you're going after lions or tigers or bears oh my. Seriously, for deer and similar game the .308 is excellent. The Savage may be somewhat utilitarian looking, but you're looking for a shooter not a wall hanger, right? Put your momey where it counts, in function.
  8. JLA

JLA Moderator

It is water transfer. The guy I had do it does it with a hot water tank and he calls it hot dipping. The finish is damn tough. I gotta scrape it with a pocket knife to get it to come off..

Speakin of old dodges.. Meet my '77 M882 4X4 :D

Attached Files:

9. okiefired

okiefired New Member

JLA, I see its stocked with the essentials....gun rack in the back glass...roll of TP in the front. My 01's got the TP but i keep the guns under the back seat. ;)

okie
  10. JQualls90

JQualls90 New Member

Nice truck! I had an 87 D250 with a /6 as my first truck. 276k miles when I got it and it ran like a champ. The second was an 87 D150 318. My uncle had a '74 W200 with a 360 that we got as a $600 project. It had a blown muffler so we just ran open headers. Talk about burnin' some 34's at 60mph! It seems like no matter how hard you push/ beat them old Dodges they just eat it up and ask for more!
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  11. JLA

JLA Moderator

Yup mines got a 318/A727/NP205 and a set of spicers 44/60 w/ 4:56s. Im runnin 36X12.5X16.5 Humvee tires on custom made A/R 9.75X16.5 alloys. I installed the 6" skyjacker right after I bought it back in '08 from a military truck collector in Denton. It is the military version of the W200 and was used by the army as a radio truck. I still have the 24 volt blackout kit and the closed circuit wiring. This mofo gets 5.4 MPG and doesnt know how to get stuck.. :D
  12. JLA

JLA Moderator

yup. gotta have a place for 870 and my boogers..:D