The Firearms Forum banner

New Guy Needs Some Help And Has A Few Questions

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  suryevor 
#1 ·
I am new to the forum and new to firearms. I have been going to the range with my uncle lately and have come to love learning about firearms. I am going to take a firearm safety and education class. I will be applying for my CCW permit in a few weeks so I have a few questions. More than likely I will be getting a Taurus PT111 Millenium. What would be the best ammo for this particular weapon. What is the difference between different grains in ammo. What is the difference between parabelum and luger ammo.:confused:

#2 ·
Glad to see you here at TFF, thenewguy.

Hope you join us often as we have collectively a fine bunch of folks that are very knowledgeable. Also we trust you will become a regular and post often.

I am not one of those who knows a great deal about firearms but I do know that grains in ammunition refers to the weight of the projectile (bullet). You will also see grains referred to when discussing the weight of a powder charge in reloading metal cases or shot shells.

I'll have to let one of our experts explain the difference, if there be any, between the reference to Luger and Parabelum WRT 9mm ammo.

Attachments

G
#4 ·
Welcome to the forum, thenewguy. Luger and Parabellum are different names for the same cartridge. Parabellum is the name the originators put on the cartridge. Luger was the most famous pistol to use that round. (That should get some comment.)

Pops

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum. In most cases the heavier projectile will result in more recoil. My .45 will recoil more using 230 grain bullets, than it will using 185 grain bullets. I would suggest that for carry purposes you practice with the same ammo that you intend to carry in your firearm.

Regards, Jay

#6 ·
If I Recall Correctly - 480 grains equal 1 ounce. So you can see that it's a very small unit of measure. In reloading variations of 1 grain weight of powder in the case can have much different results which is why they need such precise measurements.

As mentioned Luger and Parabellum are the same, just different nonmenclature.

As for the best ammo.. best for what? If your just plinking for fun just about FMJ (Full Metal Jacket, the copper colored rounded tip bullets) rounds will do will do. If your looking for protection rounds you'll want to buy a few different brands (like those mentioned above) and try them out. Do this after you gun is broken in properly, usually about 500 rounds through it. Make sure that the HP (HollowPoint - these have a "dished out" section at the top of the bullet to help them expand faster and more aggressively) rounds feed reliably before deciding which ones to use.

Good Luck and welcome to the world of the Shooting Sports. Please feel free to ask any question you like, none's too trival for us. Besides it boosts our ego's when we know the answer so it actually helps us all ;) :D

G
#8 ·
The Taurus has had some durability

and reliability problems, at least in the past. I gather that getting another handgun-permit is a hassle in some places, so best be sure of the gun before you commit to it. i"d want to shoot it a lot before I bought it. It's not really lw and small enough to be pocketable, and there's far better belt guns available. Some of them for a lot less money, like the $175 Star BM 9mm, out the door and with a spare mag. The mag's worth $20, and $10 of that is tax. Look for them at J & G Sales or Aim Surplus (online) $200 buys 2000 rds of 9mm ball ammo, if you know where to look.

#9 ·
Originally posted by armedandsafe
Welcome to the forum, thenewguy. Luger and Parabellum are different names for the same cartridge. Parabellum is the name the originators put on the cartridge. Luger was the most famous pistol to use that round. (That should get some comment.)

Pops
Georg Luger invented it. He named it Parabellum because he felt that in order to have peace, you had to prepare for war. ("Para bellum" is Latin for "prepare for war.")

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.