New Guy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hjsmith00843, Jun 23, 2012.

1. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

Just checking in and a little back ground info. Ex military and I have been going thru this PTSD thing and I have been looking for a hobby to help me with it.

I bought my first personal weapon a few months ago and it helped take my mind off of hte crap. I then started thinking about reloading and I purchased a Lee Hand Breech Lock loader.

I know not great quality but it is something. it was a rush to fire off my first set of 5 successively after many hours of reading and research. This is better than any medication the VA has ever given me. I also just finished up my CWP class a few weeks ago.
  2. geds

geds New Member

Welcome to the forum from the Heart of Dixie! Pull a bowl of ice cream and join in the fun. And thanks for your service!
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

welcome!

head down to the relaod forum.

so.. how do you like that handloader?
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Welcome, thank you for your service.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

hjsmith00843 Welcome to the forum

and welcome home , ;)

good thinking on the PTSD and getting busy

heyb we have some give aways here each month , and i've a few set's of reloading equipment in these over the coming months , and we have a few only for those who have served

( yes i'm a Australian but support my Brothers in Arms all over)

if theres anything we can help with you let us know , lots of veterans here

and pic's of your weapons is always a great ice breaker

cheers and again welcome !!
  6. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Welcome to the addiction. Its a great place to make some great friends. I'm just sorry you had to join on the day we all found out your good friend Highboy, hereby now known as GM for girly man, lost his man card:D
  7. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

Thanks. I am having a ball with it. I like the hand press but it is a little hard on my shoulder. I have right shoulder problems. I eventually want to get better equipment and was bout to order some but the wife would not let me drain the bank.

When I do I like doing the pay it forward thing and help start someone else into reloading in the future.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

what do you wish to load ? for yourself i mean ?
  9. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

if on a budget, look at the lee classic C press the press by itself is 25$ usually.. places like midway have them. you can get lee basic kits for around 110$ etc

good luck!
  10. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

9mm for now. Going to get a 38 special, 40, 45, and 357 mag in the near future. Getting them from my dad. I will need alot of brass and other odd ball stuff.
  11. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.
  12. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    Welcome to the forum HJ. And, thanks for your service.

Keep an eye out for deals from the reloading suppliers. I got an email a couple of days ago for an RCBS Rock Chucker press kit for around $275. That's a pretty good deal and the press will last forever. I thought it was from Natchez Shooters Supplies, but I can't find it now.

Some suppliers' websites: (I'm sure others will follow with other sites)

http://www.midwayusa.com
    http://www.grafs.com/
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
    http://www.natchezss.com/

Get on their email list. They will inundate you with sales and deals.

Have fun reloading, I look forward to my time both at the loading bench and the shooting bench.
  13. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

thanks for the sites. That is about all I have is time. i am a stay at home dad with the kids. when they are at school I just do my thing. Can not work. wish I could. sucks being only 32 and find it difficult to leave the house.

I will have to stick with the lee products because of the cost factor. I hope to upgrade my equipment soon. But neverless i am still having fun.
  14. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Welcome home and thanks for your service. You have come to the right place for help with about anything gun related.

If you do any wood work and would be interested in building grips, I will give you all the help I can. I find it very rewarding and there is no real physical work involved. Just being on your feet is the main thing. Not much equipment to buy, but must have a lot of patience.
    Hollow if you need help.
  15. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

Wow your work is amazing. I cannot cut a straight line with a saw. I am the world worst when it comes to working with wood or trying to make something out of it.