New guy

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Brn380, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Brn380

Brn380 New Member

As you can see here I am new and I had a question or two. I recently recieved my CCW and purchased a new High Point 380. I love shooting it but Ammunition is kind of scarce. I was wondering what other handguns would you advise getting that are close in size to the 380 and that the ammunition is easier to find. Thanks in advance for your advise.
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

It seems that right now 40 s&w is kinda plentiful and 9mm is starting to show up more often on the shelf. As for guns? A Glock or Springfield XD would be similar in size but not in price. They will run in the $500 dollar range. I think that you would find the Glock 19 to be an excellent choice. It is a 9mm with 15 round magazines and not too large in size.

welcome to the Forum!
  3. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Welcome to the forum Brn380. If you want to ask questions you have to have a premium membership. Just send $150 to Suwannee Tim, Jacksonville, Florida. :D
  4. Brn380

Brn380 New Member

I seen a short barreled revolver I think its called, it was a Smith&Wesson in a 357. Is that a good quality hangun? I mean I like my Highpoint but I have to question the quality when I only purchased it for $178.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Either a Glock or a Kimber LCP 45acp....

mike
    gn
  6. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Jeeze Tim..... you were asking $100 only a week ago!!! Did your rent increase or what?!! :confused::p:p:p:D:D

Welcome to the forum Brn380!! You'll like it here!! (unless you voted for obozo or are a bleeding heart liberal)

Brn380, as far as your question, I second Jacksonco's recommendation of a Glock-19. While I've never owned a Glock, I know several folks who do, who swear by them. Since most LEO carry a Glock as a sevice weapon, that alone speaks volumes [to me] Re: the Glock's credibility as a quality SD weapon. If cost is an issue, buy 1 used.

Good luck in your quest & be safe!!

SR :)
  7. Brn380

Brn380 New Member

Actually I did vote for Obama. As far as Liberal I am kinda out of the norm since I am gay and currenty mad about the way he has been doin his job. Of course the Republicans track record within the gay community is sketchy also. I guess you can say I am on the cuff.
  8. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Yes I think a snub nose Smith and Wesson in 38 special would be better for self defense than a 380. The short barrel Smith's in 357 are pretty loud and kick pretty good. I have two of the snub nose 38's and they never jam and I believe still have a enough fire power to get the job done.
  9. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Welcome to the forum. I haven't had any problem finding .40. I usually carry a Springfield XD .40 S&W Sub Compact or a Ruger .357 Police Service Six stainless snubnose. That Ruger is a heavy gun and built like a tank, so I'm usually carrying my Sprinfield.
  10. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I have no love for the glocks so, I think a revolver might do you well also, mabbe a 38special since they are small and light weight.,
  11. ARB

ARB New Member

Welcome, Brn380

If, you check out the centerfire pistol threads you may find what you are looking for. Plenty, of information there. Good luck, scrounging for that .380 ammo though. Check out the Taurus USA website. They have plenty of CCW revolvers that will keep you safe.:)
  12. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I'm just going for the big score on the $150! I am a conservative libertarian type myself, that puts me in the mainstream of this group. I think most of my political stripe would defend your rights to do as you please so long as you don't deprive another person of life, liberty or property by force or fraud. If you want to know about firearms you have come to the right place. We know everything there is to know and then some.:D I have a small 38 revolver and I have a 22 that is very similar in size and shape that is more economical and easier to shoot for practice. If you can find such a thing, similar to your High Point, I would recommend it, ammo is a lot cheaper. Find a local gun store that has a large selection and ask them. If you take your High Point in and expect to handle it to compare with something else it needs to be UNLOADED. And then double checked. As far as ammo availability, Obama has one of the most anti-gun records of any politician and when he was elected people panicked and began buying ammo to hoard. Availability is slowly improving. As a new shooter you need to practice gun safety diligently until you get it down. Guns can be very unforgiving of mistakes.
  13. DBMJR1

DBMJR1 New Member

Actually most gays don't like Obama at all. Seems Muslims don't like gays.

As for your dilemma, I congratulate you on wanting to defend your self.

I suggest a .38, or a .357 revolver. Either one can be loaded with .38 ammunition, to reduce recoil.

Autos are good, if you are proficient at clearing malfunctions, and are capable of cleaning the weapon often.

That's my $.02. For what ever it's worth.
  14. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Welcome Brn! Most Smith and Wessons are pretty decent weapons. Now jsut because you only paid 178 dollars doesnt mean you got a junk gun. I have 2 hi-points that I really love to shoot, and unlike some semi-auto's they eat everything I have given them. Snub 357's are very good self defense weapons. Lots of bang. Although I have heard that ammo for them is pretty scarce also. I too reload so thats not a real problem for me. Personally I am a wheel gun guy myself, but semi's shooting like they are supposed are a blast.
  15. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

WELCOME BRN380!!! we're glad to have another gun lover with us:D ... if your lookin for a semi-auto id second the input of either the subcompact or the glock.. but id say the glock 26 "baby glock" in 9MM. that way you have more places available to conceal it

glad to have you with us:cool:
  16. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

To steer the conversation here, you are looking for a pistol nearly the same configuration as your High Point, not some other auto or revolver. That's a question that might not be easy to answer, you might look at photos to find something about the same shape and look at the specs to see if it is about the same size. That might take some research but, hey that's what the internet is for.
  17. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Let me add a welcome from the UK Div. Your .380 will do the job, but only if you can. Get some practice in.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2009
  18. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

take a look at the Sig P239 or a Springfield EMP. I have yet to shoot the EMP, but I definetly like it's looks. 9mm is still pretty easy to find. I do think the .380's will start showing up again soon. Welcome to TFF.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  19. Brn380

Brn380 New Member

Thanks for all the information you guys has been a big help. I like my .380 but it is just too hard to find ammunition. I have looked up some of the other guns you mentioned and I like the look of the Springfield EMP. I seen a couple of others that looked like the type I wanted.

My partner and I are planning to go out and shop around this weekend. Thanks again for all the help.
  20. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Don't get in too much of a rush. The most important factor of a handgun is how well it fits your hand. Second, if you want to conceal it, it must be small enough. The High Point is a big gun, especially for a 380. This raises the question "what is the best gun to bring to a gunfight?" Answer, a 12 gauge shotgun. Or a 30 caliber machine gun. Actually if you knew there was going to be a gunfight you wouldn't go. The correct answer is "the gun you got." If you buy a gun that is too big to carry and you leave it at home, you got the wrong gun. I carry a Ruger LCR 38 revolver in my pocket. I have been trough a number of carry guns. My wife carries a similar Smith and Wesson.