New here and to reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Wildone72, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Wildone72

Wildone72 New Member

Hello all my name is Matt and I am new to reloading. I have been waning to start for many years but have not. Well my wonderful wife gave me a gift card for a early B-Day present to buy a reloading set up. I first researched it from members of a gun forum and then got the ABC's of reloading. After figuring out what I wanted to start with I ordered a Lee turret kit and everything else I needed from Midway USA. I took my time did a small batch of 223/556 after reading some more manuals and watching videos. Then tonight I did another 50 rounds. I have been saving brass for a while and have a bunch to load. Lol. I hope to learn more from you guys and have some fun in the process.
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome the people on here will love helping you that is what they do best
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF Matt. Just be sure you're checking/testing your load workups at intervals of no more than 20 rounds when starting out. It is a real pain to find out that the 100 rounds you just spent 2 hours on won't chamber or perform properly.
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to TFF and to reloading Matt. The main thing in reloading is safety. If you have a few manuals, you seem to be on your way to knowing what to do. AS woolley says, proceed slowly and start out with smaller batches to make sure thing are right before continuing.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Wildone72, welcome to the Forum, and to the world of reloading!
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

welcome and fair warning; both TFF and reloading may be extremely habit forming!

Good to see more hand loaders out there, out of all my shooting buddies, only one reloads (and he just started this year also).

see ya round
  8. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Welcome to the addiction Matt. Lots of great folks on here with lots of knowledge so if you ever have question, don't hesitate to ask.
  9. Bud0505

Bud0505 Member

Welcome to the forum. Remember there is no such thing as a dumb question. It usually doesn't take long to get an answer or search this forum for answers because chances are the question has been asked and answered.
  10. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome, Matt. You've found a wealth of information and lots of people with loads of experience, all glad to help whatever way they can.

Enjoy the forum.
  11. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

Welcome to TFF Matt, you found a great place.
  12. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to TFF Matt. It's good to have you here.
  13. Sherrer1*

Sherrer1* Member

Welcome. Sounds like you are on the right track. I reload 223 and 5.56x45 myself. If you reload the 5.56 brass remember to reduce your charge by 10% to start off with.
  14. karlrudin

karlrudin Member

Welcome. Like sherrer1* said, reduce your loads when using military brass. The case volume is smaller due to thick brass. Same with .308 and 7.62. Glad to see someone else enjoying saving money, whether its handloading or reloading. Much more flexible than factory ammo. And with a little practice, more accurate and cost effective. Enjoy.
  15. Wildone72

Wildone72 New Member

Thanks all I plan on taking it slow hard to when the doc says I need to wait another week to try and shoot. I had surgery on my left arm a month ago and have a 9in scare from where they opened my entire forarm up. I am left handed as well.