New here, and with a new pistol

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Sportdog7, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Sportdog7

Sportdog7 New Member

Hey guys just discovered this site today and I'm impressed! I picked up my first handgun ever at the start of March. After looking at the S&W M&P, Springfield XD and the Ruger SR series I ended up with the Ruger SR-40. And IMO its a pistol I'll be keeping its accurate, and has handled every brand of ammo so far with no issues. I must say of the 3 I considered, it was the best value costing 80.00 less than the XD and it saved me 125.00 over the M&P. Don't get me wrong, those two are fine pistols, as one my friends owns the XD & the other lays claim to to the M&P ! For me the deciding factor was how it fit my hand, simple as that. Now I have to debate if I should get a CC permit? My friends say don't hesitate but I really bought it for home protection. What say you on the forums??
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome Sprotdog7. Nice selection of pistol. As for the CCW, get it. Once you start carrying you won't stop. Also, the more CCW numbers we have on the books the better it looks.

One last thing. When I went on my police ride along, the officer continually ran the license plates. When a CCW carrier came up, the officer went the other way. His attitude was that if the driver has a CCW, there is no reason to investigate them any further because they already have a back ground check and are good citizens. That is worth alot in my opinion.

Welcome to TFF,
    Jim
  3. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Welcome. I love them Rugers. Great guns. I refer the older "P" series guns, but they are all built like tanks.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

hey Sportdog, I dont own either of any of the above, but am still shopping
    for a good carry gun and havent decided yet.
    A lot of good ideas here as alot of the members have bought a variety of "all" and
    have added their thoughts and takes on the ones they have gotten and it's all great!

And as with your decideing factor as to it fitting your hand...that's it right there!
    If it isnt a good fit, one isnt going to be as proficiant with what they decide.

Congrat's on your SR-40!
  5. Sportdog7

Sportdog7 New Member

Thanks guys I'll be sending a lot of lead downrange in an effort to improve my shooting skills with a handgun. Thanks for the insight on CC 76Highboy, it does make sense that an officer would depend on our good judgement and character.
  6. prepper for it all

prepper for it all Former Guest

First off, welcome and its good to have you here. Now i dont much about Rugers since i am a Colt and Berreta fan but it sounds like a good pistol. As for the CCW, i would get it on the pretense that you should never have to use it. If you think you will use it then i would go with practicing the doubletap method i was always taught. My favorite saying i came up with, as far as i know, is "One in the chest to put 'em to rest, one in the head to make sure their dead."
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Glad that helps. Also, with your CCW, you don't get delayed in buying a firearm. At least in most places.
  8. Zane71464

We here in Ohio, used to have the waiting period/time but now they run the check
    over the phone as your filling out the paper work.
    (so much better) I hated that time wait!
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Glad you found "the" gun that you like! Get that CCW! In todays world having the ability to defend your self, and loved ones, is no longer for the home only. A bit of advice if I may. Please find a defensive hand gun course in your area, and get inrolled. It's one thing to shoot targets, it's a whole nuther thing to hit what you are shooting at, while being shot at! If you are not moving, you are a standing target! If we carry a gun, then it is our responsibility to be trained in it's use, and in the laws that we live under. It's not required, but it is a really good idea!
  10. yetiman

yetiman New Member

SD, after seeing how the media has treated the Zimmerman mess I would not hesitate to get the CCW. At least if you ever have to use your gun, you have that stating you have taken the steps to lawfully and responsibly own a firearm. I figure when this is over we will start seeing lawyer adds on TV. "Have you been confronted with a firearm while breaking and entering? Has it left you feeling vulnerable? We can help with your pain and suffering"
  11. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.

Concerning a CCW, as I am sure you have heard.
    It is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

As for the police running your plates and CCW, it depends on which state you are in. Not all states list CCW holders that way. It depends on an individual's state laws.
  12. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Active Member

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hey!Welcome to the forum.Just kidding with you.It's all in fun.Let's see your new gun.
  13. Sportdog7

Sportdog7 New Member

Hope this works never tried to post here before.

Attached Files:

14. prepper for it all

prepper for it all Former Guest

Sweet Jesus that is a hot piece of firepower, how much did you pay for it?
  15. Sportdog7

Sportdog7 New Member

Got it for 399.00 + background check & tax, Its been a real joy to shoot easy to keep on target not as much muzzle jump as I thought there would be.
  16. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very nice.

Welcome to the forum. There's lots to enjoy here. Have fun.
  17. Sportdog7

Sportdog7 New Member

I have decided to get a CC permit, yes its better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and sadly not have it! Thanks for the advice on CC guys.
  18. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Active Member

Very nice pistol!Ruger makes good stuff.I like the two tone look.
  19. Guts3d

Guts3d Member

:D Took me a second! Sad thing is, they ( the lawyers ) probably could get some burglar money from the innocent gun bearing homeowner.
  20. Zane71464

The only thing I see wrong with your pic Sportdog, you have an emty MAG! :eek: