new here / howdy

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, May 8, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

new her, just saying howdy.

Just started reloading a couple weeks ago..

got a rcbs rock chucker and associated rcbs equipment.. plus a few assorted C&H dies I've come across.

have only relaoded in 30-06 so far.. still trying different powders and laods.. etc.

needed to fid a forum to ask questions on etc as I don't know anyone locally that reloads. had been conversing on another forum till I was chased out by a rude member or two...:cool:

later...
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Welcome to the Forums soundguy !!

your most welcome to ask anything here

lots of knowledgable folks who reload and share here , i learn a heap and been reloading 25+ years
  3. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to TFF soundguy. You will fit in and there is a wealth of knowledge and excellent people here. Myself, I don't mess with the other forums because this is the best place to be.

Jim
  5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum soundguy;
    As Jack404 says, there is lots of expertise here and people are always glad to help. The only dumb questions here are the ones not asked. We all started reloading once upon a time and got help by asking questions.
    You've come across a great place where people really do care.
    Enjoy this place.
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  6. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Welcome! There are no stupid questions here.

I have been known to be a little harsh now and then, so I will apologize in advance.
  7. soundguy

thanks guys.

Ok.. here's the question, I guess, that got me chased out of the last place..

Ok.. remember I'm knew at this..

For manuals I have speer 14, lyman 49, hornady 7th, and a couple IMR.. not sure of # plus the hodgdonsw '12 annual. that's what I got for my data charts.. oh, and what I printed off the imr/winchester/hodgdons website online charts.

ok.. I have been using imr 4064, a stick powder. I notice some cutting action in my rcbs powder measure.

for kicks I wanted to compair to a ball powder for feed and repatability of accurate throws of powder. I got some winchester 760.. it was one listed in the many charts I have.. I'm relaoding with a 180gr spitzer flat back soft point.. etc.. 30-06

anyway.. in the speer maual, it seems to indicate the 760 powder needed a magnum LR primer, as it had an asterisk by the powder.

none of the other charts I consulted seemed to indicate anything other than a standard LR primer.

I even decided to email winchester and just ask.

got an email back from them saying that they reccomended a standard LR primer for that powder for all bullets.. for similar loads.. like my 243, 30-06 etc.. etc...

my question was as to why the speer manual indicated a MLRP vs a LRP

anyway.. i got told I was being dangerous and going off spec and a bunch of other stff that I wasn't doing.. so I left.... and here I am.. :)
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum don't worry your questions will be answered
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the best forum, soundguy. You won't find any one here running you off for asking any question.

I'm looking at that page right now. I don't think they are indicating that you have to use the magnum primer. They seem to be saying that for their testing of this powder, they USED a magnum primer. At least that is the way I am reading it (bottom right on page 485). I do not use 180 grain bullets or that powder in my 30.06, I only use Varget pushing a 168 grain bullet. I have never even bought any magnum rifle primers!
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

well , from me , i have used non magnum primers a lot with 760 , i reload 22/250 and be using 760 in them again next

780, now thats a different powder and yeah magnum primers for that for sure , but loaded a lot of large rifle primers with 760 and had no issues

as for a lot , maybe 30,000 since swapping to the win 760 from the ADI I907 ( australian military powder )

i use CCI primers and Olin ..
  11. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Speer and many others have recommended Mag primers for Ball/Spherical powders for years. The theory is that ball powders can be harder to ignite than rat turd-extruded powders, especially in cold weather. True or not, duno.

It's up to you and your rifle to find what's best. Test your 760 powder both ways making sure you follow the number one safe loading procedure and "Start Low and Work Up".

Not sure what "going off specs" means, but it is important to understand that load data is NOT a recipe and should not be treated as such. It is impossible to follow load data to the letter, to many variable. Variables such as Lot Numbers, temperature, case volume, altitude and the number 1 variable is the firearm itself. What is safe in my firearm or test barrel may not be safe in your rifle, even though we followed the same "Recipe".

If you want to use Mag primers using data that list a standard primer go ahead, just "Start at the Min charge and work up". basically no different than if you were going to work up with standard primers.
  12. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.
  13. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Welcome sg from THE GREAT STATE OF IOWA! I agree with most of the above! And Georges Varget under a 168 grain .30-06 @ 100 yards 3 rounds under a dime!:thumbsup:
  14. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

W760 and H414 is the same powder... and I've load developed with H414 in my 30-06 in cold temperatures, whereas the lighter charge weights would hang-fire.

My fix was to use more powder, but one of the fixes was to use a magnum primer. (It is noted; "There is nothing wrong with using mag primers in everything. You just have to adjust powder combos a little to match up.")

If a respected reloading manual's recipe include magnum primers, I would not be deterred from following that recipe as I would with any other manual.

But let me state for the record... I also run with scissors. :eek:
  15. soundguy

well, once winchester, the maker of the powder said that it didn't need a mag primer, I was pretty well satisfied with that. Will work up some charges as usual and see where they go on paper...
  16. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I was satisfied without it also.