New here---Howdy

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

flyfisher100
    (12/2/02 2:10:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All New here---Howdy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi—
    I’m new here, my first post.

I’ve not done any reloading for about 25 years now. Now that my 2 grown sons are up and shooting, I’ve been elected to start loading again.

I’ve been looking at the Hornady Auto. Progressive Press as well as the Lee Master Press. I’ll be loading mostly .45 acp (2000 per month give or take) a little 9mm (2-300/month) and some .223 (500-1000/month).

Which would be the better of the two systems—or any other suggestions.

Any advice will be appreciated.

G36

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/2/02 3:58:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: New here---Howdy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Howdy, FlyFisher100 -

Welcome to the board! Hope you will join in the other forums here and add your insight/questions/view on the many topics.

As to a loader for handgun ammo in quantity, the Dillon presses get a lot of favorable comments here on the board and elsewhere.

What little handgun ammo I load, the Bonanza Co-Ax single press suits my needs just fine, along with the rifle cartridge reloading.

A lot of people start out with the Lee turret presses for quantity loadings. I've got no quarrel with Lee products, as I have some mixed in with my other stuff - just that I think the money would be better spent to dive into a quality reloading kit at the outset, rather than upgrading later.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/2/02 4:08:59 pm)
    Howdy FlyFisher and welcome to the group.

I have the Dillon XL-650 with auto case feeder and can produce the numbers you quoted reasonably quickly. I would say that the machine puts out 650-700 .45ACP per hour for me. All you do is start the bullet into the bell on the case mouth, the rest is done for you. Expensive, but can create gobs of ammo in a hurry. Good luck in your choice and happy shootin'

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/2/02 5:00:46 pm)
    Flyfisher, welcome to the forum.

You can't go wrong with a Dillon Press.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/2/02 5:44:39 pm)
    We surly do welcome you here, Flyfisher.

I too, cast my line to Dillon presses. Do you want to jump in with both feet or just stick your toe in to see how the waters are.

That is, you can start with a Dillon 550 B progressive with the removable tool head holders, or skip right on up to the 650 with auto indexing plus all the bells and whistles.

No matter how much money you put into a Dillon set up, they will hold there value and then some. If you ever seen a used Dillon for sale...it wasn't for sale long. Good product and good service from a great bunch of reloading innovator fanatics at Dillon Precision Inc.

Gunguy

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/2/02 5:59:41 pm)
    I have the Hornady Lock N Load Auto Progressive. I love it. It is a breeze to change calibers. I would buy another Hornady(would be my third) but I haven't figured out how to run three at a time. I would go with the Hornady. I have heard that the Lee can be a booger to set up and run.

Hey, Bin Lauden, our women can kick you butt!

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/3/02 11:06:12 am)
    Welcome Flyfisher, it pays to go with quality equipment so I would pay more up front and be happier in the long run.
    cointoss2