New here & new to reloading, looking for 9mm loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Dustiny
    (1/6/03 8:59:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All New here & new to reloading, looking for 9mm loads
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently purchased a 9mm luger, and I am now collecting brass, but would like to start reloading soon and I am looking for advice on powders and loads.

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/6/03 9:49:03 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: New here & new to reloading, looking for 9mm loads
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dustiny: Welcome aboard. BE CAREFUL with gathering brass. Used brass can be very expensive even if it's free. It is best to know where brass comes from. Once fired from LEO practice etc is a good way to go if you can't afford to buy.

Keep records on number of times reloaded etc, it will save you headaches.

Read all you can about reloading and have a good hobby. It takes time but is very rewarding.

Smoky da' reloader

Dustiny
    (1/6/03 9:51:40 am)
    i should have said i was collecting the brass that i was shooting. in other words once fired brass, another question, how many times can you reuse brass?

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/6/03 11:32:38 am)
    Welcome, Dustiny.

If you don't load maximum all the time you can reload that 9 mm brass many times. 9 mm is an easy round to load, unlike bottle neck rifle stuff.

I like powders that are clean burning and don't leave a crappy mess of burnt residue. Have found AA#5, get on line with accuratearms.com as it is a good clean burning one. Also, the Hodgdon Powdres like Universal, Clays and Tightgroup...heres some loads from www.hodgdon.com as follows...

9 mm 115 grain SPR GDHP bullet with Universal 5.0 grain = 1129 fps velocity 31,200 CUP.

Same bullet, Titegroup 4.4 grains = 1158 fps velocity 30,500 CUP.

Same bullet, Clays 3.9 grains = 1095 fps velocity 32,600 CUP.

------------------------------------------------------------

9 mm 125 grain SIE FMJ bullet, Universal 4.9 grains = 1118 fps 30,600 CUP.

Same bullet, Titegroup 4.4 grains = 1136 fps velocity 30,600 CUP.

Same bullet, Clays 3.7 grains = 1056 fps velocity 32,500 CUP.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Good shooting.

Gunguy

1badmagnum
    (1/10/03 2:51:24 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del titegroup
    I get the best accuracy with 4.5 grains of titegroup under a 115 grain speer gold dot hollow point bullet.
    the gold dots are a few cents more,but the accuracy in my opinion is unmatched.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/10/03 8:40:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: titegroup
    1badmagnum, how does this shoot in your pistol barrel is it clean burning as they claim it is?

Gunguy

1badmagnum
    (1/11/03 2:55:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: titegroup
    I shoot 3 times a week,100 rounds at a time and clean the pistol after each shooting session.I shoot jacketed handloads only.the pistol cleans up very quickly.I've had good luck with all my hodgdon powders,very clean burning.