new here thought id post a few pics of my rifles

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by evan03, Aug 19, 2011.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

DAMN! a necksized serious load would be and easy -.2 then!
  2. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

3. bgr2014

bgr2014 New Member

I'm also a newbie, I like smallbores too. Have a 25/06 Rem. Sendero, 22/250-2 a Rem 700 BDL with a HSP stock a Rem 788 with HSP stock All are muzzlebreaked, glassbedded and light triggers. Jewel in 25/06 and Kepplinger single set in 700-22/250 I like to see RED MIST from prairie rats. Try the Hornady 52 gr. A-MAX they blow dogs up better than V-MAX discovered by accident. None of the suppliers had the V_MAX and found some A-MAX when I got to N.M. and bought them, Been using the ever since. Don't know how to send pic. yet or I would send some of my rifles.
  4. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard 2014. There's alot of Texas boys on this forum. Read up on attaching photos, I would love to see your guns!
  5. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

welcome to TFF y'all. hope yu enjoy the forum lots of info here
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I wouldn't trade my .22-.250 for the world. Rem.700 Varmint with a 24X Simmons.
  7. evan03

evan03 New Member

the future has planned for me a fast twist 22 for long range 95vlds or 105s with 1/7 barrell maybe 1/6.5 probly a semi heavy 5 taper heck maybe a pacnor barrel on remington 700. liking the remington lightweight varmitier. rifle would chamber would be ackled and possibly on a 3006 lenght action to be able to run the long 105s and not lose powder capacity, hmmmmmmm or a #1 case would be ackled but for long jeveity i could care less that there slow 3000 fps or so heck maybe even 2800-2900. have not decided on the case peobly the 22/250 since 220 is getting harder and harder to find
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

That .25-06 looks familiar! Same thing I've got in my stable. M77MkII blue/walnut.
    Mine is fitted with a 4-16 Tasco though (yeah, it's a cheapy but it works).

I'm still trying to get it to shoot boat-tails though. It's favorite load was the 100gr flat-base X bullet (pre-TSX). I can't get the stinker to group with either 100gr or 115gr boat-tail TSXs though. Just need to spend more time working up a new load...I know the rifle can do it.

How about the .243 or 6mmRem for a parent case? Lots of common wildcats on those two that are easy to get reamers & dies for.
  9. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    All you new guys... Welcome to the Forum... :)

I have a CZ in .204 Ruger.... :eek:... Yotes worst enemy... :D
  10. evan03

evan03 New Member

i also had a 204 for short time killed a few dogs and varmits but it just wore off with me. 22/250 220 heck a 223 is more usefull then 204 to me.

for heavy boatails i was having a rough time getn 115s to shoot tight groups i contacted berger and they gave me a list of powders to try with starting and minumum loads.

powders like rl22 imr7828ssc and others in the slow magnum powder category. most manuals list imr4831 4350s rl19 and so on but it didnt shine for me untill slowing the powder burn down. i also have some hodg 100v floating around but its hybrid and i cant remember how if it produced anything to speak of.

ive also found h4831sc to be easy to worth with and found a few good loads with it pushing 115 gr bullets.

two bullets ive found that were easy for me to get to shoot are nosler 110 acubond and 115 balistic tip. useing nosler books loads these two bullets were shooting tight right off the bat.

the 115 triple shock i do shoot but it shoots no where near as well as my 115vlds and 115 acubond and 115 balistic tip.

this has all come from hours upon hours at the bench tweaking a .5 grain here bumping seating depth a nudge in or out and even playing with standerd to magnum and benchrest primers. im shooting cc benchrest primmers in everything from 22/250 to 3006.

berger vlds took the most work i literly have 100s on paper trying to find something i was happy with now i have a few powders and loads to look to .
  11. Bindernut

Yup, I've had the best luck with slow burners in the .25-06 too. H4831 is what worked great with the 100gr FB X-bullet and others for me.
    I've got RL22, N-165, and IMR7828 on the shelf here too but haven't found that magic combo for the 100 or 115 TSX bullets yet.
    Used to use H4350 for lighter bullets but I haven't used anything lighter than 100gr in that rifle for several years now. It worked super with the 75hr Speer TNT HP in my rifle. Can you say prairie dog soup? :D

I picked up a .204 Howa for yotes a couple years ago too. Just wanted to try soemthing different than the .22-250 (which I know works).
    Luckily it groups good with 40gr since the 32gr VMax is just a bit too light for a long shot on a big dog.
    If I know I'm long-ranging on coyotes I'll keep the .25-06 or my Swede handy.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  12. evan03

evan03 New Member

have you tried the sc or super short cut powders. i try them whenever theyre available and they seem to work great in my 2506.

my loads are mid to slow loads with the bullets seated kissing the lands

one thing i noticed with 257 triple shocks is bc numbers are about the same for 100 and 115 and that a boatail only realy shines way way out there. way way farther then i can shoot. i like high bc boat tails for wind deflections but even then way way out there is were it matters most.
  13. Bindernut

I've still got a good supply of regular H4831, but I'm planning on trying the short cut version the next time I've got to restock it. Others have said it winds up burning about the same but meters easier...I'll find out in a year or so at the rate I'm using up my current supply (or I just better start shooting more :)).

I stumbled onto the 100gr FB X-bullet as my rifle's favorite bullet shortly after I bought it back in '95. I stocked up so many I didn't need to buy more til a couple years ago. They discontinued the flat-base 100gr, it's boat-tail only with the new triple shock lineup.
    I really don't care if it's a flat-base or boat-tail as long as I can work up a load that groups as nice as that one. This rifle sure seems notice a difference between the styles though.
    I have got a couple of good loads with Hornady and Sierra bullets but I'm dead-set on finding another Barnes that works in this critter. I love how they perform on whitetails!
    Someday I'll find the magic combo again...I've got lots of time since I've been sticking with one of my 6.5x55 rifles for deer season the last couple years.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I find flat base bullets are far better at 300 and less, thats pretty much all i load in .223 because I dont shoot it much beyond 250. They stabilize quicker and group tighter than their boattailed counterparts. But beyond 300, the boattail design shines.
  15. evan03

evan03 New Member

i agree to me it doesnt matter flate base or boat tail i kill most everything inside 300.. i was thining my 115 triple shocks were flat base or maybe semi flatbase.

price matters more to me and berger vlds and nosler balistic tips are way cheaper then triple shocks. even acubonds are alittle less. for the price alone and inside 300 id gladly poke a white tail with a nosler bt or berger vld.
    ive also used the 110 accubond on idaho mulies and it works awesome ive made a few fairly spectacualr oneshot kills with the acubond one fair sized bucks at around 200. normaly they run 10-15 yds with most bullets and sometimes 50 before they pile up like a sack of bricks.

check out bergers website they have alot of on game videos using vlds from 10-800 yds and were talking bigame elk moose then meduim game like antelope white tails and mulies.

JL
    if heard of long boat tails printing tighter groups out at 300 then they do at 100yds but i havent seen this yet in my rifles. but these are long range guys ive heard this from with fast twist barrels were they say at 100 yds the nose of bullet is up causeing a slight keyhole in paper then flattig out at longer range and printing tighter groups

along time ago i had some 90gr or atleast i think they were 90gr X bullets they shot awesome. bu off course they were discountuned. i never killed anything with them just paper. but from reading forumns the triple shock is supoed to perfrom better on game then the old X bullet
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011