New hunter: Caribou

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by AK_Aaron, Jun 14, 2009.

1. AK_Aaron

AK_Aaron New Member

Hello all, i live in Alaska and just turned 18, my family is does not hunt and knows very little about doing so. I decided i want to hunt however, and bought a Remington 700 sps in 30-06 (seemed to be a good versatile option). my question now is what grain of bullet i should shoot if i were hunting Caribou. I have been shooting 150s at the range because they were a cheap way to sight in my scope. is that enough for caribou or should i move to 165 grain? Can't imagine i would need anything heavier.
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

165 is better but if it were me I would go to the 180 grn. I like the shocking power of them. I use 165's for white tail here in Mo.
  3. catfish83861

catfish83861 New Member

I don't know the exact size of an adult Caribou. I do know the size of an adult Bull Elk. I have taken over 20 Bulls with a 165 grain or smaller bullet. I hunted for years with a 270 using 150 Gr. Grand Slam bullets. I have changed calibers now but not because of performance, merely choice.Choice was caused by hunting lots of brushy terrain and I wanted a heavier bullet to avoid as much deflection as possible.The 30-06 has certainly harvested a lot of game in North America.What is the chance of running into a Grizzly in the country your hunting? I don't believe that the 30-06 is really an adequate dangerous game caliber but its better than a knife. The few times I have seen a Grizzly in the wild both the bear and myself were more than willing to leave each other alone.I want to welcome you to the hunting group of Americans,Hunters are a valuable asset to game management. Welcome and always of course hunt safe.:) catfish
  4. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Howdy Aaron. The Remington 700 In 3006 is a real good pick. I have been lucky enought to take 40 + big game animals Deer, Elk, Antelope. And did most of them with my trusty 3006. I have taken shots from 25 to 400 yds all with 150-165 grain bullets. The last 10 were hand loaded with 165 gr nosler. Man Ill tell you its tought to beat the versatility of the 06 with good factory or hand loads. Its the #1 elk killer ( my 2cents ) in colorado. Have fun!
  5. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    If your going to be hunting in Alaska, it would be a good idea to carry a good side arm. 165 grain is good for every thing but bear. Personally .44 mag side arm would be my choice for bear protection. Strictly a personnel choice.
    If you want a rifle that will also take down one of the big guys, i would mention the 340 weatherby magnum
  6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Caribou is not an exceptionally difficult animal to put down, but I would switch to 180 grain anyway just to be SURE you get clean kills.
    Bear are a possibility ANYWHERE there are Caribou in Alaska, so the advice to carry a sidearm in .44 mag is a very good one. Personally, I would also carry a few rounds for the 30-06 in 220 grain weight for the possibility of a bear encounter. I have seen bear dropped with smaller caliber weapons than the 30-06, but I have also seen MUCH larger calibers display a frightening lack of effect on a large brown -

Be careful out there.
    Alaska has a way of killing the unwary VERY quickly.
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I just dined on the last of the caribou from last years hunt, unfortunately, NOT my hunt. My Sis and BIL live in Haines and have lived all over the state of AK. They send me a care package every now and then, gotta love'em for that. Not cheap sending a 50# box of meat overnight to TX. I pick up the frght bill though, even if they try to "gift" it. It was taken with a handload 180gr Hornady SST with 55 gr of H4350. ( I've got a great BIL, he hunts, fishes, reloads and takes great care of my Sis ) BIL has had no issues with dropping AK game quickly with a '06. My nephew took his first black bear recently with the same rifle/ammo combo. Rifle is a Kimber 8400 Montana. I still have yet to shoot it, my work trips up there have never coincided with any decent hunting; plenty of great fishing though.