The Firearms Forum banner

New IMR powder

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  mikld 
#1 ·
Anyone read up on the new IMR pistol, and shotgun powders coming out next month. From what I understand other powder manufacturer has ever a high price on very similar powders, but over the past few years have had higher prices, and have even been unable let to keep up with demand so imr got back in the pistol, and shotgun powder game.

#3 ·
Seems like every other month somebody brings out a new powder - sort of like the old "Buster Brown Shoes" advertisements - or was that P.F. Flyer - "Makes you run faster and jump higher?". I'm waiting for "Forget FPS! Our NEW Powder gives you WARP SPEED and your bullets will NEVER MISS!". The powder makers would have you buy a different WhoopDeDo powder every other week for every different firearm.

Like Sharps - I'd like to see them bring back some of the good stuff. I was going to try that SR powder when I was working on my .45-70 loads - but nobody around here had even seen any for a very long time.

#4 ·
Which one Jim? Occasionally I see a pound of SR-4759 and it's a great reduced load and cast bullet powder. I never leave without it either. When you do see one, even in the plastic bottle, it's NOS. I lucked into 3 lbs. of SR-4756 for my 16 bore shotgun loads and that should take me out. I guess the velocity crowd is winning out over the "effective and practical" crowd...:(

Reactions: BlackEagle
#6 ·
Which one Jim? Occasionally I see a pound of SR-4759 and it's a great reduced load and cast bullet powder. I never leave without it either. When you do see one, even in the plastic bottle, it's NOS. I lucked into 3 lbs. of SR-4756 for my 16 bore shotgun loads and that should take me out. I guess the velocity crowd is winning out over the "effective and practical" crowd...:(
That was SR-4759. The Springfield Trapdoor guy - J.S.Wolff - listed it as a very good choice for the smokeless loads .45-70. I ended up going with IMR-3031, and have a very decent 405 grain HB load for my Carbine.

#7 ·
Freedom, are they touting it as one replacement for all those powders? I can see how that would be a good thing but it's beyond my ability to understand how.

Jim, I've had great results with IMR-3031 for cast and/or reduced loads also. It's one of my "go to" powders for the old stuff, along with SR-4759 and IMR-4227.

#9 ·
I started loading about 1968. Still use mostly powder's from back then. New powder's I use now I suspect a lot of people will call old; RL19 and RL22. Well, new to me anyway! Where do they find all the market for these new powder's? Like to see them bring back N205, stuff was super in my old 7mm Rem Mag

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.