New Kimber custom 11

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by bgil, Nov 4, 2007.

1. bgil

bgil New Member

I just bought My first 1911 and per the booklet, field stripped, lubed it and managed to put it back together. My question is, when the slide is all the way back, the slide stop takes quite a bit of pressure to release the slide. This is a brand new pistol, never fired.

also, any tips on the break in?

Thanks in advance.
  2. cec

cec New Member

My Kimber was little stiff at first, but now the release is easy.

You may want to double check and make sure it is seated properly.

As far as break in, I pretty much followed the manual and not have any problems.
  3. JERICHO941

JERICHO941 New Member

I have the same problem with my new Pro Covert II. The slide release is hard to release. Ive heard that 400 rounds is good for break in.
  4. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

When the slide is locked back, most of the good 1911's I've shot were pretty hard to release w/o pulling back on the slide a bit. Now that my Para has 25,000 rounds through it, on a slidelock reload, a good hard slap when seating the mag will release the slidelock. :)

I might add, letting the slide slam back on an empty chamber, is not recommended.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  5. copper4262

copper4262 New Member

I had three Kimbers - all of them ran well over 600 rounds through them - only one (an older Kimber Tac Pro) worked well - the other two(TLE and ULTRA CDP) never did work right - i dont know what the problem was with them - i tried several different mags in each gun - none helped - i kep getting double feeds in both of them - im not an expert on the 1911's so i didn't know what else to do - so i traded them off and bought a Springfield instead - much better!! My taurus 1911 worked better out of the box as well. Anyone else had this problem with the Kimbers??
  6. travihanson

travihanson New Member

I have never been impressed with the Kimbers....I have yet to try out a Taurus though....I am looking forward to it though.
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

It's a new pistol. The parts have to wear in so shoot it and your "problem" may go away.
  8. HeadHunterII

HeadHunterII New Member

Try to slingshot the slide. (Instead of dropping the slide stop to return the gun to battery, grab the rear of the slide when in slidestop, pull back and release.) After a while the corners of the slidestop and the slide will wear a bit from contact and the slide stop will smooth out.

I started doing this at first and now I would rather slingshot the slide.
  9. wuluf

wuluf New Member

I have 2 kimbers, a custom II and an ultra carry II. both took about 500 rounds (like the manual says) to loosen up enough so that i had no failures. i use kimpro tac mags exclusively and CCI 230 fmj at the range. for SD ammo, both like Hornady 200 gn XTP. I can't remember the last failure i had in thousands of rounds in each.