New Kimber & Rock Island

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Zhurh, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Sorry, Haven't been on computer, been huntin, first day moose, saw several cows; early subsistence season, moose don't move much until September. Jumped out with AR 10 after blk bear running up the road, but he dived off the road and couldn't see him in the brush, completely forgot about the kimber on the trk dash, nutty. Caribou that are usually here in the thousands are about 100 miles North of us this year, but they will more than likely move down this way in a week or two. I'm going back out behind house right before dark for this bull I have seen out and about, maybe get lucky.

Anyway, I appreciate all the help with these 1911's. With the Kimber the light is low also with the fixed sight but it can be adjusted. I'm ordering a Novak for Kimber.

The Rock Island is an inch longer that Kimber, might have something to do with it also.

More than anything, might be operator error along with more needed practice.

Thanks again to everybody, got to kill a moose one of these nx few times out.
  2. ozo

ozo Active Member

Z
    I believe you will get the Kimber on target if you just keep shooting her.
    Mine ain't so sweet as many of my lower cost ones either....I'm not a
    huge Kimber fan, but it will shoot.
    You are a big revolver guy, and the 1911's do not hold the same as
    what you are used to. Some say it doesn't matter.....if you know how
    to shoot.....I say it does matter.
    Try some other ammo also.....Magtech maybe.
    The Novak's are great, and one of my favorites.
    For you, I know it's not the barrel length....you shoot your 2.5"
    in a much larger caliber......but in a revolver.
  3. rogertc1

rogertc1 New Member

I agree with OZO...
  4. Martimus

Martimus New Member

Hi all!

Another thing to consider is that the Crimson Trace lasers are usually set at the factory to a POI of 50 feet. If the OP is sighting using the Crimson Trace at 30 yards then it's possible that the POI will be somewhat off and in need of adjustment... I can't imagine, however, it being that far off unless someone has been tweaking the adjustment screws on the laser.
  5. Ironvarmint

Ironvarmint New Member

Those grips are made by VZ Grips http://vzgrips.com/ I have the same RI
  6. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Not to get off track, but I saw a lady from Tok shoot her caribou with a 1911 from truck window about a week back, ha. Pretty cool, I had the same idear but never got the close shot. I now wish I had stopped and taken her picture as we know the old girl as I've talked to her past years. The grandma is always driving her grandkids 150 miles up the road to where the caribou are so they can get one; wish my grandma had done the same for me when I was 10.
  7. ozo

ozo Active Member

I too wish you had her pic....cool.
  8. ksblazer

ksblazer New Member

Just out of curiousity, have you changed the sights on your Kimber yet?

My 2 Rocks have both been shooters as well. I have a 5'' A1 model and the 3.5'' Compact Tactical. Their both keepers.

The only Kimber that I have ever fired was at my local range. A guy next to me let me fire a magazine through it. It had a pretty nice trigger pull and I shot it pretty well. Sorry to hear that yours is so far off, must be frusterating.

I hope you had good luck with your hunt. Never knew they used .45's for caribou up there.