New knife

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by armedandsafe, Jan 1, 2005.

1. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I'm working on shaping and edging a new knife. I saw that one in CTD that is shaped very similarly to my Randall and thought I'd give it a try. Their cat# DBA-709

Chinese, so a little chintsy, but the steel seems pretty good. Balance is a little heavy in the pommel and the blade is thinner than I like for that style, but we'll see how it comes out. I might wear out my Lansky getting the silly thing shaped.

Pops

Attached Files:

2. z537z

z537z New Member

These are really handy, though you're right, thicker is nicer. It's short and sharp, so you can use it almost like a hatchet, but for finer stuff as well. Really nice for survival/camping/hunting.

Nice find

_z
  3. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

I'd like to see one this weekend at the Richmond gun show this weekend.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I finally got the edge shaped and then ground the back line to an axe edge. I've got that smoothed out and ready to do a finish sharpening on it. This weekend, I'm thinking of radiusing the tip, as is my Randall. I like the edge to carry all the way around, but sharpening/honing it becomes a REAL problem. I'll get a chance to use it next summer, but will just play with it until then.

Pops
  5. offeror

offeror New Member

I have one of those, and it is heavy enough to be useful, even though the Chinese knives are, well, you know, you get what you pay for... Since acquiring my inexpensive import I found one very similar to this, of higher quality, made by Ka-Bar. I think the style from China is called a "Coronado," and from Ka-Bar I believe they call it a Warthog, for obvious reasons -- it's about as beautiful and ugly as an A-10 to me.

The Chinese knives can be snapped off in a vise, while the better quality American knives will torque over without breaking. But as long as you don't abuse the Chinese model, and use it as intended, it should be fine for a while. Mine sharpened up well once I got the angle right. I haven't tried to hone down and sharpen the topside of the clip point -- yet.
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I don't intend to use this as a primary field carry, so the lesser quality probably won't matter. I suspect it will go along on day trips and when fishing the local ponds. I bought it more as a matter of curiosity than anything else. If I want a knife in which I can put trust for my life, I'll carry the Randall and a couple of others. It is fun, though to play with a new knife and see what you end up with. :)

Pops